This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methods and Instruments for On-Board Measurement of Tyre/Road Friction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tyre/road-friction determines which driving manoeuvres are physically possible and is therefore of utmost importance for vehicle safety. At the Department of Automotive Engineering (fzd, Head: Prof. Dr.-Ing. B. Breuer) of Darmstadt University (THD) research on the on-board measurement of tyre/road friction was started 1988 and has since then been funded by Deutsche Forschungs-Gemeinschaft (DFG) and within the European research-project PROMETHEUS. Methods and instruments described in this paper represent its present state. Two different methods of friction detection are proposed: one computes a μ-slip-curve from contactless measurements of the road surface, the other derives friction from signals gained inside the tyre. Beside several influences on the friction level, which are measured in their entirety on real roads under natural conditions, some effects of local tyre behaviour are discussed.
CitationBreuer, B., Bachmann, T., Ernesti, S., and Stöcker, J., "Methods and Instruments for On-Board Measurement of Tyre/Road Friction," SAE Technical Paper 942470, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942470.
- Roth J. Eichhorn U. Tyre/Road-Friction under Real-Road Conditions 3rd International EAEC-Congress Strasbourg, F 1991
- Wermann K. -U. Ernesti S. Breuer B. 1992
- Weidele A. Schmieder M. Research on the power transfer of motorcycle tyres on real road surfaces XXIII. FISITA-Congress Torino, I 1990
- Meyer W.E Kummer H.W. 1967
- Diekmann Th. 1992
- Gengenbach W. 1986
- Yager T. Bühlmann F. Friction evaluation of different tires used on several pavement test vehicles ASTM Symposium on Frictional Interaction of Tires and Pavement Akron 1981
- Kelley J.D. Speyer A.G. Effect of tire construction variables on passenger car wet traction 2nd Int. Skid Prevention Conference, Transportation Research Record 621 Columbus, Ohio 1977
- Henry J.J. Saito K. Skid-resistance measurements with blanked and ribbed tires and their relationship to pavement texture Transportation Research Record 946 Washington 0D.C. 1983
- Essers U. Hörz E. Becker R. 1984
- Dames J. Merckens R. Bergmann J. 1984
- Browne A. Ludema K.C. Clark S.K. Contact between tire and roadway in: Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires Clark Samuel K. US Department of Transportation Washington D.C 1982
- Stöcker J. Bachmann Th. Ernesti S. Breuer B. 1993
- Gillespie T.-D. Pavement surface characteristics and their correlation with skid resistance Joint Road Friction Program Pennsylvania State University Report 12/1965 Pennsylvania, USA 1965
- Roth J. Eichhorn U. Prediction and Monitoring of Tyre/Road-Friction XXIV. FISITA-Congress London, GB 1992
- Eichhorn U. fzd's approach to tyre/road-friction-monitoring PROMETHEUS Friction Expert Meeting Birmingham, Gb 1989
- Eichhorn U. Roth J. 1991
- Holzwarth F. Eichhorn U. Non-Contact Sensors for Road Conditions EUROSENSORS VI San Sebastian, E 1992
- Holzwarth F. Eichhorn U.
- Eichhorn U. 1994
- Breuer B. Eichhorn U. Roth J. Measurement of Tyre/Road-Friction ahead of the car and inside the tyre AVEC '92 Yokohama, J 1992
- Bachmann Th. Stöcker J. Ernesti S. Breuer B. Influences on and detection of tyre/road-friction XXV. FISITA-Congress Beijng, C 1994
- Kern W.F. 1971
- Gerresheim M. 1975
- Roth J. Breuer B. Stöcker J. 1993
- Roth J. 1993
- Breuer B. Roth J. Seibert W.
- Breuer B. Roth J. Stöcker J.