This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantitative Imaging Study of the Effects of Intake Air Temperature on Soot Evolution in an Optically-Accessible D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simultaneous laser-induced incandescence and light scattering measurements were used to obtain images of the evolving soot field within an optically-accessible DI diesel engine. Optimum signal collection parameters were established based on preliminary measurements in an ethylene diffusion flame. The effects of intake air temperature on soot formation during diesel combustion were investigated. Although increased soot production was evident for the higher intake air temperature cases, local particle diameters and number densities of the soot were unaffected for each of the cases tested.
CitationPinson, J., Ni, T., and Litzinger, T., "Quantitative Imaging Study of the Effects of Intake Air Temperature on Soot Evolution in an Optically-Accessible D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 942044, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942044.
SAE 1994 Transactions: Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V103-4 ; Published: 1995-09-01
Number: V103-4 ; Published: 1995-09-01
- Dec, J.E. and Espey C., “Soot and Fuel Distributions in a D.I. Diesel Engine via 2-D Imaging,” SAE paper 922307, 1992.
- Pinson, J.A., Mitchell D.L., Santoro R.J. and Litzinger T.A., “Quantitative Planar Soot Measurements in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using Laser-Induced Incandescence and Light Scattering,” SAE paper 932650, 1993.
- Lee, W., Solbrig C.E., Litzinger T.A. and Santoro R.J., “Planar Laser Light Scattering for the In- Cylinder Study of Soot in a Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 902125, 1990.
- Won, Y.-H., Kamimoto T., Kobayashi H. and Kosaka H., “2-D Soot Visualization in Unsteady Spray Flame by Means of Laser Sheet Scattering Technique,” SAE paper 910223, 1991.
- Matsui, Y., Kamimoto T. and Matsuoka S., “Formation and Oxidation Processes of Soot Particulates in a D.I. Diesel Engine - An Experimental Study via the Two-Color Method,” SAE paper 820464, 1982.
- Yan, J. and Borman G.L., “Analysis and In-Cylinder Measurement of Particulate Radiant Emissions and Temperature in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 881315, 1988.
- Quoc, H.X., Vingon J.-M. and Brun M., “A New Approach of the Two-Color Method for Determining Local Instantaneous Soot Concentration and Temperature in a DI Diesel Combustion Chamber,” SAE paper 910736, 1991.
- Tree, D.R. and Foster D.E., “Optical Measurements of Soot Particle Size, Number Density, and Temperature In a Direct Injection Engine as a Function of Speed and Load,” SAE paper 940270, 1994.
- Tree, D.R. and Foster D.E., “Optical Soot Particle Size and Number Density Measurements in a Direct Injection Engine,” Combustion Science and Technology, V95, 1994, pp. 313-331.
- Tait, N.P. and Greenhalgh D.A., “2D Soot Field Measurements by Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Proceedings of the Optical Methods and Data Processing in Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, London, April 1992.
- Quay, B., Lee T., Ni T. and Santoro R.J., “Spatially-Resolved Measurements of Soot Volume Fraction Using Laser-Induced Incandescence,” submitted to Combustion and Flame, 1993.
- Dec, J.E., zur Loye A.O. and Siebers D.L., “Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Laser-Induced Incandescence Imaging,” SAE paper 910224, 1991.
- Dec, J.E., Espey C., sur Loye A.O. and Siebers D.L., “Soot and Fuel Distribution Imaging in a Diesel Engine,” Sandia report SAND92-8507.UC-361, 1992.
- Dec, J.E., “Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Imaging of Laser-Induced Incandescence, Elastic Scattering, and Flame Luminosity,” SAE paper 920115, 1992.
- Mitchell, D.L., Pinson J.A. and Litzinger T.A., “The Effects of Simulated EGR via Intake Air Dilution on Combustion in an Optically-Accessible DI Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 932798, 1993.
- Dobbins, R.A., Santoro R.J. and Semerjian H.G., “Interpretation of Optical Measurements of Soot in Flames,” Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, V92, 1984, pp. 208-237.
- Santoro, R.J., Semerjian H.G. and Dobbins R.A., “Soot Particle Measurements in Diffusion Flames,” Combustion and Flame, V51, 1983, pp. 203-218.
- Melton, L.A., “Soot Diagnostics Based on Laser Heating,” Applied Optics, V23, 1984, pp. 2201-2208.
- Eckbreth, A.C., “Effects of Laser-Modulated Particulate Incandescence on Raman Scattering Diagnostics,” Journal of Applied Physics, V48, 1977, pp. 4473-4479.
- Ni, T., Pinson J.A., Gupta S. and Santoro R.J., “2-Dimensional Imaging of Soot Volume Fraction Using Laser-Induced Incandescence,” submitted to Combustion and Flame, 1994.
- Leider, H.R., Krikorian O.H. and Young D.A., “Thermodynamic Properties of Carbon up to the Critical Point,” Carbon, V 11, 1973, pp. 555-563.
- Lee, S.C. and Tien C.L., “Optical Constants of Soot in Hydrocarbon Flames,” Eighteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, 1981, pp. 1159-1166.
- Santoro, R.J., Yeh T.T., Horvath J.J. and Semerjian H.G., “The Transport and Growth of Soot Particles in Laminar Diffusion Flames,” Combustion Science and Technology, V53, 1987, pp. 89-115.
- Balles, E., “Fuel-Air Mixing and Diesel Combustion in a Rapid Compression Machine,” Ph.D. thesis, MIT, 1987.
- Henein, N.A. and Bolt J.A., “Correlation of Air Charge Temperature and Ignition Delay,” SAE paper 690102, 1969.
- Solbrig, C.E., “The Effect of Intake Charge Temperature on Combustion and Emissions in an Optically- Accessible D.I. Diesel Engine With and Without Swirl,” SAE paper 902060, 1990.
- Lyn, W.T., “Calculations of the Effect of Heat Release on the Shape of Cylinder-Pressure Diagram and Cycle Efficiency,” Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, London, 1960, pp. 34-46.
- Lyn, W.T., “Study of Burning Rate and Nature of Combustion in Diesel Engines,” 9th Symposium on Combustion, The Combustion Insitute, 1963, pp. 1069-1082.
- Aoyagi, Y., Kamimoto T., Matsui Y. and Matsuoka S., “A Gas Sampling Study on the Formation Processes of Soot and NO in a D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 800254, 1980.
- Kittelson, D.B., Pipho M.J., Ambs J.L. and Luo L., “In-Cylinder Measurements of Soot Production in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 880344, 1988.