This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Lubricity of Deeply Hydrogenated Diesel Fuels - The Swedish Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Environmentally adapted diesel fuels defined by the Swedish Government contain extremely low levels of sulphur and have limited aromatics contents. Road trials and pump durability tests of these fuels revealed unacceptable wear in injection pumps due to low lubricity. Additive solutions were identified using bench tests and then proven in field trials. Market experience has substantiated the findings that fuels using the chosen additive give fully satisfactory performance.
This paper illustrates how practical solutions to lubricity questions can be found, and is applicable wherever specifications demand fuels requiring a high degree of hydroprocessing.
CitationTucker, R., Stradling, R., Wolveridge, P., Rivers, K. et al., "The Lubricity of Deeply Hydrogenated Diesel Fuels - The Swedish Experience," SAE Technical Paper 942016, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942016.
SAE 1994 Transactions: Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V103-4; Published: 1995-09-01
Number: V103-4; Published: 1995-09-01
- den Ouden, C.J.J. Clark, R.H. Cowley, L.T. Stradling, R.J. Lange, W.W. Maillard, C. “Fuel Quality Effects on Particulate Matter Emissions from Light- and Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines” 1994 SAE International F & L Meeting October 17-20 1994
- Cowley L.T. Stradling, R.J. Doyon, J. “The Influence of Composition and Properties of Diesel Fuel on Particulate Emissions from Heavy-Duty Engines” SAE 932732 1993
- Stradling, R.J. Cowley L.T. Lange, W.W. Maillard, C. “The Influence of Fuel Properties and Test Cycle Procedures on the Exhaust Particulate Emissions from Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles” Second I.Mech.E. International Seminar on Fuels for Automotive and Industrial Diesel Engines London April 1993
- Lange, W.W. “The Effect of Fuel Properties on Particulate Emissions in Heavy-Duty Track Engines under Transient Operating Conditions” SAE 912425 1991
- Lucien, J.P. van den Berg, J.P. Germaine, G. van Hooijdonk, H.M.J.H. Gjers M. Thielemans, G.L.L ‘Shell Middle Distillate Hydrogenation Process’ AICHE 1993 Spring National Meeting Houston March 1993
- Robertson, S.D.R. et al. “Effect of Automotive Gas Oil Composition on Elastomer Behaviour” 1994 SAE International F & L Meeting October 17-20 1994
- Appeldoorn, J.K. Dukek, W.G. “Lubricity of Jet Fuels” SAE 660712 1966
- Wei, D. Spikes, H.A. “The Lubricity of Diesel Fuels” Wear 111 1986 217 235
- Hadley, J.W. Blackhurst, P. “An Appraisal of the Ball-On-Cylinder Technique for Measuring Aviation Turbine Fuel Lubricity” STLE annual meeting Denver USA May 1990
- Hadley, J.W. “The Measurement of the Boundary Lubricating Properties of Aviation Turbine Fuels” I.Mech.E. Conference on Combustion Engines - Reduction of Friction and Wear London March 1985
- Mikkonen, S. Tenhunen, E. “Deposits in Diesel Fuel Injection Pumps Caused by Incompatibility in Fuel and Oil Additives” SAE 872119 1987
- Spikes, H.A. Cameron, A. “A comparison of adsorption and boundary lubricant failure” Proc. R. Soc. London 407 419 1974
- Onion, G. “Generation and Properties of Boundary Films formed by Diesel Fuel at a Steel/Steel Contact” Tribology International 17 277 287 1984
- Krieger, K. “Environmentally Friendly Diesel Fuel - Conclusions from Experience with Robert Bosch Diesel Injection Systems” Agelfi, 11th European Automotive Symposium Nov. 19-20 1992
- Bovington, C. Caprotti, R. Meyer, K. Spikes, H.A. “Development of a Laboratory Test to predict Lubricity Properties of Diesel Fuels and Its Application to the Development of Highly Refined Diesel Fuels” 9th Int. Colloquium on Ecological and Economic Aspects of Tribology 11-13 Jan. 1994
- Bovington, C. Caprotti, R. “Latest Diesel Fuel Additive Technology Development (with particular reference to Lubricity)” 1993
- Lacey, P.I. Lestz, S.J. “Effect of Low-Lubricity Fuels on Diesel Injection Pumps - Part 1: Field Performance” SAE 920823 1992
- Jenkins, S.R. Landells, R.G.M. Hadley, J.W. “Diesel Fuel Lubricity. Development of a Constant Load Scuffing Test Using the Ball on Cylinder Lubricity Evaluator (BOCLE)” SAE 932691 1993
- Grigg, H.C. “Reformulated Diesel Fuels and Fuel Injection Equipment” Conference on New Fuels and Vehicles for Cleaner Air Pheonix, Arizona Jan 11-12 1994