This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Speed Laser Tomography Analysis of Flame Propagation in a Simulated Internal Combustion Engine - Applications to Nonuniform Mixture
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Flame propagation has been studied in a simulated engine in presence of turbulence and nonhomogeneity of mixing. Experiment was conducted in a constant volume chamber where turbulence was generated by the motion of a piston. High speed laser tomography was used to study evolution of the flame growth in term of flame surface and flame length. Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) associated to cross-correlation algorithm was used to provide evolution of a two dimensional velocity vectors map in the engine in presence of flame propagation. Laser tomography by means of quantitative Mie diffusion was applied to study the mean and the RMS-fluctuations of the nonhomogeneous mixture created in the chamber. Measurements have been performed with and without turbulence (the mixing being homogeneous or not) for statistical sets of digitized images. First results are presented here.
CitationMouqallid, M., Lecordier, B., and Trinite, M., "High Speed Laser Tomography Analysis of Flame Propagation in a Simulated Internal Combustion Engine - Applications to Nonuniform Mixture," SAE Technical Paper 941990, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941990.
- Tagalian, J. Heywood, J.B. “Flame Initiation in a Spark-Ignition Engine” Combustion and flame 64 243 246 1986
- Pundir, B.P. Zvonow, V.A Gupta, C.P. “Effect of Charge Non-Homogeneity on Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in Combustion in SI Engines” SAE Paper 810774 1981
- Vannobel, F. Rouen 1985
- Floch, A. Trinité, M. Fisson, F. Kageyama, T. Kwon, CH. Pocheau, A. “Flame propagation behavior in variable hydrodynamic constant volume combustion chamber” 12th Int. Colloquium on Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems Ann Arbor 1989
- Mouqallid, M. Lecordier, B. Trinite, M. “Influence of inhomogeneity of mixing on combustion characteristics in a simulated internal combustion engine” ENERGEX 93 The 5th International Energy Conference 18-22 October 1993 Seoul, Korea
- Ziegler. G.F.W Zetlitz. A Meinhardt. P Herweg. R SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting 1988
- Pickering, C.J.D. Halliwell, N.A. 1985 “Particle image velocimetry: Fringe visibility and pedestal removal” Applied Optics 24 16
- Adrian, R.J. 1984 “Scattering particle characteristics and their effect on pulsed laser measurement of fluid flow: speckle velocimetry vs. particle image velocimetry” Applied Optics 23 11
- Lecordier B. Mouqallid M. Vottier S. Rouland E. Allano D. Trinite M. “CCD recording method for cross-correlation PIV development in unstationary high speed flow” Experiments in Fluids
- Rouland. E Vottier. S Lecordier B. Trinite M. “Cross-correlation PIV developmnet for high speed flow with a standard CCD camera” The institute of Mechanical Engineers city, University London 14-15 April 1994
- Rosensweig, R.E. Hottel, H.C. Williams, G.C. “Smoke scattered light measurements of turbulent concentration fluctuations” Chemical engineering science 15 July 1961 111 129
- Becker, H.A. “Mixing concentration fluctuations, and marker nephelomery” Studies in convection 2 Launder B.E. Academic Press New York 1977 45 139
- Long, M.B Chu, B.T Chang R.K “Instantaneous two dimensional gas concentration measurements by light scattering” AIAA Journal 19 o 9 1151 1157 September 1981
- Lecordier B. Mouqallid M. Trinite M. “Simultaenous 2D measurements of flame front propagation by high speed tomography and velocity field by cross-correlation” Seventh International Symposium on Applications Of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics” 1994 Lisbon, Portugal 1 15.2.1 15.2.8