This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Diesel Spray Structure and Spray/Wall Interactions in a Constant Volume Pressure Vessel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High-speed movie films, and laser-diffraction drop sizing were used to evaluate the structure, penetration rate, cone angle, and drop size distribution of diesel sprays in a constant volume pressure vessel. As further means of evaluating the data, comparisons are made between the film measurements, and calculations from a dense gas jet model. In addition to the high-speed film data that describes the overall structure of the spray as a function of time, a laser diffraction instrument was used to measure drop size distribution through a cross-section of the spray.
In terms of the growth of the total spray volume (a rough measure of the amount of air entrained in the spray), spray impingement causes an initial delay, but generally the same overall growth rate as an equivalent unimpeded spray. Agreement between measurements and calculations is excellent for a diesel spray with a 0.15 mm D orifice and relatively high injection pressures. Drop sizes of 15-30 micrometers were measured at these injection conditions.
CitationSchwalb, J., Ryan, T., and Dodge, L., "Investigation of Diesel Spray Structure and Spray/Wall Interactions in a Constant Volume Pressure Vessel," SAE Technical Paper 941918, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941918.
- Timoney. D.J. “A Simple Technique for Predicting Optimum Fuel-Air Mixing Conditions in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine With Swirl,” SAE Paper 851543 1985
- Kuo, T.-W. Bracco, F.V. “On the Scaling of Transient Laminar, Turbulent, and Spray Jets,” SAE Paper 820038 1982
- Reitz, R.D. Ayoub, N. Gonzalez, M. Hessel, R. Kong, S. Lian, J. Pieper, C. Rutland, C.J. “Improvements in 3-D Modelling of Diesel Engine Intake Flow and Combustion,” SAE Paper 921627 1992
- Desantes, J.M. Lapuerta, M. Salavert, J.M. “Modelling of the Wall Jet in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Journal of Automobile Engineering 206 3 185 196 1992
- Watanabe, T. “Visual Study of Influence of Combustion Chamber Configurations on Fuel-Air Mixing Process in D.I. Diesel Engine Using Liquid-Liquid Injection Technique,” SAE Paper 901575 1990
- Idoum, A. Packer, J.P. Wallace, F.J. Charlton, S.J. “An Experimental and Analytical Study of Jet Impingement and Wall Jets in High Swirl D.I. Diesel Engines using the Hydraulic Analogy,” SAE Paper 850263
- Sinnamon, J.F. Lancaster, D.R. Steiner, J.C. “An Experimental and Analytical Study of Engine Fuel Spray Trajectories,” SAE Paper 800135 1980
- Iida, N. Hirawo, K. Sato, G.T. Experimental Study of Transient Gas Jet Impinging on a Wall,” SAE Paper 900479 1990
- Abramovich. S. Solan, A. “The Initial Development of a Submerged Round Jet,” J. Fluid Mech. 59 791 1973
- Borman, G. L. Johnson, J.H. “Unsteady Vaporization History and Trajectories of Fuel Drops Injected into Swirling Air,” SAE paper 598C 1962
- Taylor, D.H. Walsham, B.E. “Combustion Processes in a Medium Speed Diesel Engine,” Symposium on Diesel Engine Combustion, Proc. I. Mech. Eng. London 1970 1967
- Popa, D.M. “Spray Penetration Study at High Fuel Injection Pressures,” M.S. Thesis University of Michigan-Dearborn 1981
- Schwalb, J.A. Ryan, T.W. III Wilson, R.P. “Injection System and Combustion Chamber for a Coal-Water-Slurry-Fueled Medium Speed Diesel Engine,” ASME - ICE 19 Coal-Fueled Diesel Engines 1 7 1993
- Swithenbank, J. Beer, J.M. Taylor. D.S. Abbot, D. McCreath, G.C. “A Laser Diagnostic Technique for the Measurement of Droplet and Particle Size Distribution,” Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics: Experimental Diagnostics in Gas Phase Combustion Systems 53 Zinn B.T. AIAA New York 421 447 1976
- Felton, P.G. Hamidi, A.A. Aigai, A.K. “Measurements of Drop Size Distributions in Dense Sprays by Laser Diffraction,” Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Institute of Energy London IVA/4/1 11 1985
- Katsura. N. Saito, M. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. “Characteristics of a Diesel Spray Impinging on a Flat Wall,” SAE Paper 890264 1989
- Dodge, L.G. Callahan, T.J. Ryan, T.W. III Schwalb, J.A. Benson, C.E. Wilson, R.P. Jr. “Injection Characteristics of Coal-Water-Slurries in Medium-Speed Diesel Equipment,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Transactions of the ASME 114 522 527 1992
- Fujimoto, H. Saitou, M. Minoura, A. Cho, I.Y. Senda, J. “Characteristics of a Diesel Spray Impinging on a Flat Plate,” Proceedings of the International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer Ser. 26 Hemisphere Pub. Corp. New York, NY 291 301 1987
- Kawamura, K. Saito. A. “Analysis of Impinging Spray Characteristics under High-Pressure Fuel Injection (2nd Report, Modeling for Impinging Spray),” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 59 566 3296 3301 1993
- Senda, J. Fukami, Y. Tanabe, Y. Fujimoto, H. “Visualization of Evaporative Diesel Spray Impinging Upon Wall Surface by Exciplex Fluorescence Method,” SAE Paper 920578 1992
- Yunyi, G. Xuanming, L. “The Effect of Ambient Gas Temperature and Density on the Development and Wall Impingement of High-Injection-Pressure Diesel Fuel Sprays,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Transactions of the ASME 115 777 780 1993