This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An On-Line Approximation Approach to Fault Monitoring, Diagnosis and Accommodation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The detection, diagnosis, and accommodation of system failures or degradations is becoming increasingly more important in modern engineering problems. This paper presents a general framework for constructing automated fault diagnosis and accommodation architectures using on-line approximators and adaptation/learning schemes. In this framework, neural network models constitute an important class of on-line approximators. Changes in the system dynamics are monitored by an on-line approximation model, which is used not only for detecting but also for accommodating failures. A systematic procedure for constructing nonlinear estimation algorithms and stable learning schemes is developed and illustrated by a simulation example.
CitationPolycarpou, M., "An On-Line Approximation Approach to Fault Monitoring, Diagnosis and Accommodation," SAE Technical Paper 941217, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941217.
- Antsaklis P. and Passino K., editors. An Introduction to Intelligent and Autonomous Control. Kluwer, 1992.
- Basseville M. and Benveniste A., editors. Detection of Abrupt Changes in Signals and Dynamical Systems, volume 77 of Lecture Notes in Control and information Sciences. Springer-Verlag, 1985.
- Bekey G. and Goldberg K., editors. Neural Networks in Robotics. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992.
- Clark R.N., Fosth D.C., and Walton V.M.. Detection instrument malfunctions in control systems. IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electron. Syst., 11:465-473, 1975.
- Deckert J. C., Desai M. N., Deyst J. J., and Willsky A. S.. Dfbw sensor failure identification using analytic redundancy. IEEE Trans. on Auto. Contr., 22:795-809, 1977.
- Doyle J.C., Francis B.A., and Tannenbaum A.R.. Feedback Control Theory. Macmillan, 1992.
- Emani-Naeini A.E., Akhter M.M., and Rock S.M.. Effect of model uncertainty on failure detection: the threshold selector. IEEE Trans. on Auto. Contr., 33(2):1106-1115, 1988.
- Farrell J. A., Berger T., and Appleby B. D.. Using learning techniques to accommodate unanticipated faults. IEEE Contr. Sys. Mag., 13(3):40-49, 1993.
- Frank P. M.. Fault diagnosis in dynamic systems using analytical and knowledge-based redundancy - a survey and some new results. Automatica, 26:459-474, 1990.
- Ge W. and Feng C.Z.. Detection of faulty components via robust observation. Inter. Journ. Control, 47:581-599, 1988.
- Gertler J.. Survey of model-based failure detection and isolation in complex plants. IEEE Contr. Sys. Mag., 8(6):3-11, 1988.
- Helmicki A.J., Kuo F., and Vallely D.P.. Rocket engine health monitoring and control: Some connections and their implications. In Proc. 3rd Annual Health Monitoring Conf. for Space Propulsion Systems, 1991.
- Hertz J., Krogh A., and Palmer R.G.. Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation. Addison-Wesley, 1991.
- Himmelblau D. M.. Fault Detection and Diagnosis in Chemical and Petrochemical Processes. Elsevier, 1978.
- Hornik K., Stinchcombe M., and White H.. Multilayer feedforward networks are universal approximators. Neural Networks, 2:359-366, 1989.
- Ioannou P.A. and Datta A.. Robust adaptive control: A unified approach. Proc. IEEE, 79:1736-1768, 1991.
- Ioannou P.A. and Kokotovic P.V.. Adaptive Systems with Reduced Models. Springer-Verlag, 1983.
- Isermann R.. Process fault detection based on modeling and estimation methods-a survey. Automatica, 20:387-404, 1984.
- Isidori A.. Nonlinear Control Systems. Springer-Verlag, 1989.
- Jacobson C.A. and Nett C.N.. An integrated approach to controls and diagnostics using the four parameter controller. IEEE Contr. Sys. Mag., 11:22-29, 1991.
- Jones H.L.. Failure Detection in Linear Systems. PhD thesis, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1973.
- Kitamura M.. Detection of sensor failures in nuclear plant using analytic redundancy. Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc., 34:581-583, 1980.
- Kosko B.. Neural Networks and Fuzzy Systems: A Dynamical Systems Approach to Machine Intelligence. Prentice-Hall, 1991.
- Lou X. C., Willsky A. S., and Verghese G. L.. Optimally robust redundancy relations for failure detection in uncertain systems. Automatica, 22:333-344, 1986.
- Luenberger D.G.. Optimization by Vector Space Methods. Wiley, 1969.
- Luenberger D.G.. An introduction to observers. IEEE Trans. on Auto. Contr., 16(6):596-602, 1971.
- Mehra R. K. and Peshon I.. An innovations approach to fault detection and diagnosis in dynamic systems. Automatica, 7:637-640, 1971.
- Miller T. W., Sutton R. S., and Werbos P. J., editors. Neural Networks for Control. The MIT Press, 1990.
- Milne R.. Strategies for diagnosis. IEEE Trans. on Sys., Man, and Cyb., 17:333-339, 1987.
- Montgomery R.C. and Caglayan A.K.. Failure accommodation in digital flight control systems by bayesian decision theory. J. Aircraft, 13, 1976.
- Morari M. and Zafiriou E.. Robust Process Control. Prentice-Hall, 1989.
- Naidu S.R., Zafiriou E., and McAvoy T.J.. Use of neural networks for sensor failure detection in a control system. IEEE Contr. Sys. Mag., 10(3):49-55, 1990.
- Narendra K.S. and Annaswamy A.M.. Stable Adaptive Systems. Prentice-Hall, 1989.
- Nijmeijer H. and van der Schaft A.J.. Nonlinear Dynamical Control Systems. Springer- Verlag, 1990.
- Patton R. J., Frank P. M., and Clark R. N., editors. Fault Diagnosis in Dynamic Systems: Theory and Applications. Prentice-Hall, 1989.
- Patton R.J., Chen J., and Zhang H.Y.. Modelling methods for improving robustness in fault diagnosis of jet engine system. In Proc. of the 31st Conf. on Decision and Control, Dec. 1992.
- Pau L.F., editor. Fault Diagnosis and Performance Monitoring. Marcel Dekker, 1981.
- Poggio T. and Girosi F.. Regularization algorithms for learning that are equivalent to multilayer networks. Science, 247:978-982, 1990.
- Polycarpou M. M. and Ioannou P. A.. Modelling, identification and stable adaptive control of continuous-time nonlinear dynamical systems using neural networks. In Proceedings of the 1992 American Control Conference, pages 36-40, 1992.
- Polycarpou M. M. and Ioannou P. A.. Stable nonlinear system identification using neural network models. In Bekey G. and Goldberg K., editors, Neural Networks in Robotics, pages 147-164. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992.
- Polycarpou M. M. and Ioannou P. A.. Neural networks as on-line approximators of nonlinear systems. In Proceedings of the 31st Conference on Decision and Control, pages 7-12, 1993.
- Powell M.J.D.. Approximation Theory and Methods. Cambridge University Press, 1981.
- Praly L., Bastin G., Pomet J.-B., and Jiang Z.P.. Adaptive stabilization of nonlinear systems. In Kokotovic P.V., editor, Foundations of Adaptive Control, pages 347-433. Springer- Verlag, 1991.
- Sanner R. and Slotine J.. Gaussian networks for adaptive control. IEEE Trans. on Neural Net., 3(6):837-863, 1992.
- Schumaker L.L.. Spline Functions: Basic Theory. John Wiley & Sons, 1981.
- Tzafestas S.G.. System fault diagnosis using the knowledge-based methodology. In Patton R. J., Frank P. M., and Clark R. N., editors, Fault Diagnosis in Dynamic Systems: Theory and Applications, pages 509-572. Prentice-Hall, 1989.
- Ungar L.H., Powell B.A., and Kamens S.N.. Adaptive networks for fault diagnosis and process control. Computers and Chem. Eng., 14:561-572, 1990.
- Viswanadham N., Sarma V. V. S., and Singh M. G., editors. Reliability of Computer and Control Systems, volume 8 of North Holland Systems and Control Series. North Holland, 1987.
- Warwick K. and Tham M.T.. Failsafe Control Systems. Chapman and Hall, 1990.
- Watanabe K. and Himmelblau D. M.. Instrument fault detection in systems with uncertainties. Inter. Journal Syst. Sci., 13:137-158, 1982.
- White D. A. and Sofge D. A., editors. Handbook of Intelligent Control: Neural, Fuzzy, and Adaptive Approaches. Van Nostrand and Reinhold, 1993.
- Willsky A. S.. A survey of design methods for failure detection in dynamic systems. Automatica, 12:601- 611, 1976.