This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Initial Testing of a 250 KW Starter/Generator for Aircraft Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The work reported in this paper has been conducted by a team from GE-Aircraft Engines, GE-CR&D, and Sundstrand under a contract sponsored by the USAF, Wright Laboratories, WPAFB, Contract No. F33615-90-C-2052. The objective of this contract is to prove the feasibility of an Integral Starter/Generator (IS/G) through the preliminary design stage and demonstrate the starter/ generator technology in the externally mounted version utilizing switched reluctance machine technology. This paper will report on the progress for the EIS/G-system through the initial testing stage. Comparison of the finished hardware with the design results presented earlier will lead of the paper. This is followed by the discussion of the early testing results for the system testing. Recommendation on additional testing will be presented at the end of the paper.
CitationRichter, E., Lyons, J., Ferreira, C., Radun, A. et al., "Initial Testing of a 250 KW Starter/Generator for Aircraft Applications," SAE Technical Paper 941160, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941160.
- Richter, E., “Switched Reluctance Machines for High Performance Operations in a Harsh Environment - A Review Paper”, Proceedings of the ICEM 1990, Boston, MA.
- Ferreira, C, Richter, E,., “Detailed Design of a 250 KW Switched Reluctance Starter/Generator for an Aircraft Engine”, SAE Aerospace Atlantic 1993, Dayton, OH.,
- Radun, A. V., et al., “A Detailed Power Inverter Design for a 250 kW Switched Reluctance Aircraft Engine Starter/Generator”, SAE Aerospace Atlantic 1993, Dayton, OH., Paper 931388
- Richter, E., et al., “The Integral Starter/Generator Development Progress”, SAE Aerospace Atlantic 1992, Dayton, OH., Paper 920967
- Cronin, M.., “The All-Electric Airplane Revisited”, Aerospace Power System Technology, SAE Pub.. No. SP-758, Paper No. 881407, Oct. 1988, pp. 9-27.
- Quigley, R. E. Jr., “More Electric Aircraft” Conference Proceedings, APEC, San Diego March 1993, Invited Paper.
- Lyons, JL., et al. “Dynamic Testing of High Power Inverters for a 25OkW Switched Reluctance Starter/Generator”, SAE Aerospace Atlantic 1994, Dayton, OH.