This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In Operation Detection and Correction of Rotor Imbalance in Jet Engines Using Active Vibration Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Jet Engines may experience severe vibration due to the sudden imbalance caused by blade failure. This research investigates employment of on board magnetic bearings or piezolectric actuators to cancel these forces in flight. This operation requires identification of the source of the vibrations via an expert system, determination of the required phase angles and amplitudes for the correction forces, and application of the desired control signals to the magnetic bearings or piezo electric actuators. This paper will show the architecture of the software system, details of the control algorithm used for the sudden imbalance correction project described above, and the laboratory test results.
CitationManchala, D., Palazzolo, A., Kascak, A., Montague, G. et al., "In Operation Detection and Correction of Rotor Imbalance in Jet Engines Using Active Vibration Control," SAE Technical Paper 941151, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941151.
- Beale S Shafai B Larocca P Cusson E 1992 “Adaptive Forced Balancing for Magnetic Bearing Systems” Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings 601 611
- Buhr R Casselman R 1992 “Architectures with Pictures” OOPSLA '92 (Conference on Object Oriented Programming Systems), ACM SIGPLAN 466 483
- Higuchi T Otsuka M Mizuno T 1992 “Identification of Rotor Unbalance and Reduction of Housing Vibration by Periodic Learning Control in Magnetic Bearings” Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings 571 579
- Higuchi T Mizuno T Tsukamoto M 1990 “Digital Control System for Magnetic Bearings with Automatic Balancing” Proceedings of the 2rd International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings 27 32
- Jordan D 1990 “Implementation benefits of C++ language mechanism” Communications of the ACM 33 9 61 64
- Kanemitsu Y Ohsawa M Watanabe K 1990 “Real Time Balancing of a Flexible Rotor Supported by Magnetic Bearing” Proceedings of the 2rd International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings 265 272
- Knopse C R Hope R W Fedigan S J Williams R D 1993 “Adaptive On Line Rotor Balancing Using Digital Control” Proceedings of MAG '93 Magnetic Bearings, Magnetic Drives, and Dry Gas Seals, Conference and Exhibition 153 164
- Knopse C R 1992 “Robustness of Unbalance Response Controllers”, Bearings” Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings 580 589
- Kraemer F T 1989 “Product Development Using Object Oriented Technology” Hewlett-Packard Journal Aug 89 40 4 87 100
- Ku C P R Chen H M 1993 “Optimum Shaft Balancing at a Rotor Bending Critical Speed with Active Magnetic Bearings” Proceedings of MAG '93 Magnetic Bearings, Magnetic Drives, and Dry Gas Seals, Conference and Exhibition 165 174
- Li Haikuan Katwijk J Levy A M 1992 “The Reuse of Software Design and Software Architecture.” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering Capri, Italy 170 77
- Shaw M 1991 “Heterogeneous Design Idioms for Software Architecture” Proceedings of the 6th International workshop on Software specification and Design 158 165
- Stroustrup B 1992 “The C++ Programming Language” Addison Wesley Publishing Company
- Tang P Palazzolo A B Brown G DiRusso E Kascak A F 1993 “An Electromechanical Simulation method for active vibration control of a magnetic bearing supported rotor” International Gas Turbine and Aero engine Congress and Exposition 61
- Tang P Palazzolo A B Kascak A F Montague G Li W 1993 “Combined Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Actuator Based Active Vibration Control for Rotor Dynamic System” Vibration and Control of Mechanical Systems, ASME 93 61 223 241
- Wegner P “Concepts and Paradigms of Object Oriented Programming” OOPS messenger 1 2 7 87