This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer-Aided Process Development and Die Design for Manufacturing a Fuel Injector Nozzle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Higher strength and tighter dimensional accuracy is desired for the injector nozzles in order to attain high injection pressures for lower particulate and NOx emissions. Cold forming is an alternate method for making the injector nozzle which can provide these characteristics replacing the present machining operation. Experimental tests to study the material characteristics and two dimensional finite element simulation combined with knowledge-based system analysis were used to design a multi-stage sequential process to manufacture the injector nozzle. An interface program provides an efficient data exchange after process simulation for punch stress analysis.
|Technical Paper||Determination of Forming Limits by Digital Image Processing Methods|
|Technical Paper||Laser Welding of EGR Coolers - A New Process Technology for Heat Exchanger Manufacturing|
|Technical Paper||Outsorcing Of An Engine Plant.|
CitationSeth, S. and Shivpuri, R., "Computer-Aided Process Development and Die Design for Manufacturing a Fuel Injector Nozzle," SAE Technical Paper 941096, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941096.
SAE 1994 Transactions: Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
Number: V103-5 ; Published: 1995-09-01
Number: V103-5 ; Published: 1995-09-01
- Badawy, A. A., Raghupathi, P. S., Kuhlmann, D. L, and Altan, T. (1985), “Computer-Aided Design of Multistage Forging Operations for Round Parts”, J. of Mech. Working Technology, Vol 1, pp. 259-274.
- Bariani, P., Benuzzi, E. and Knight, W. A. (1987), “Computer-Aided Design of Multi-Stage Cold Forging Process: Load Peaks and Strain Distribution Evaluation”, Annals of CIRP, Vol 36-1, pp. 145-148.
- Bariani, P. and Knight, W. A. (1988), “Computer Aided Cold Forging process Design: A Knowledge-Based System Approach to Forming Sequence Generation”, Annals of CIRP, Vol 37-1, pp. 243-246.
- Douglas, J. R. and Altan, T. (1975), “Flow Stress Determination for Metals at Forging Rates and Temperatures”, Trans. of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, pp. 66-76.
- Kim, H., Altan, T. and Sevenler, K. (1992), “Computer Aided Part and Processing Sequence Design in Cold Forging”, Journal of Material Processing Technology, Vol 33 (1-2), pp. 57-74.
- Knoerr, M. and Altan, T. (1991), “An Integrated Approach to process Simulation and Die Stress Analysis”, ERC/NSM, OSU, Columbus, Ohio.
- Kudo, H., Sato, K. and Aoi, K. (1968), “On Cold Forgeability Test, Annals of CIRP, Vol 16, pp. 309-318.
- Lange, K. (1985), “Handbook of Metal Forming”, McGraw Hill Book Company, New York.
- Lange, K. and Du, G. H. (1988), “A Formal; Approach to Designing Forming Sequences for Cold Forging”, Proc. of 17th NAMRC, pp. 17-22.
- Meester, B. de and Tozawa (1979), Y., “Cold Upsettability Tests”, Annals of CIRP, Vol 28-2, pp. 577-580.
- Noack, P. (1973), “Computer-Aided Determination of Operation Sequence and Costs in Cold Forging of Rotation-Symmetrical Workpieces”, SME Technical Paper, MF73-141.
- Oh, S. I., Wu., W. T., and Tang, J. P. (1992), “Forming Simulations by The DEFORM System”, JSTP, Tokyo, Japan
- Raghupathi, P. S., Oh, S. I., and Altan, T. (1982), “Methods of Load Estimation in Flashless Forging Processes”, Battelle Columbus Laboratories, Topical Report No. 10, pp. 78-80.
- Rastagaev, M. V. (1940), Zavodskaja Laboratorija, 9, p. 354.
- Sabroff, A. M., Douglas, J. R., Badawy, A. and Altan, T. (1982), “Application of CAD/CAM Techniques to Close Tolerance Forging of Spiral Bevel Gears”, Annals of CIRP, Vol 31-1, pp. 141-144.
- Schey, J. A. (1987), Introduction to Manufacturing Processes”, McGraw Hill Book Company, New York.
- Westphal, K., Knoerr, M. and Altan, T. (1992), “Computer Aided Design of Cold Forging Punches”, Report No. ERC/NSM-B-D-92-08, The OSU, Columbus, Ohio.
- Yaguchi, H. and Rusia, D. (1990), “Verification of Osakada's Method to Calculate Stress-Strain Curves from Upset Test Load-Stroke Curves under Various Work Hardening Conditions”, Journal of Material Shaping Technology, Vol 8, pp. 159-165.