This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of In-Cylinder Flow and Mixing for a Center-Spark Four-Valve Engine Employing the Concept of Barrel-Stratification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Flow and flame structure visualization and modeling were performed to clarify the characteristics of bulk flow, turbulence and mixing in a four-valve engine to adopt the lean combustion concept named “Barrel-Stratification” to the larger displacement center-spark four-valve engine. It was found that the partitions provided in the intake port and the tumble-control piston with a curved-top configuration were effective to enhance the lean combustion of such an engine. By these methods, the fuel distribution in the intake port and the in-cylinder bulk flow structure are optimized, so that the relatively rich mixture zone is arranged around the spark plug. The tumble-control piston also contributes to optimize the flow field structure after the distortion of tumble and to enable stable lean combustion.
CitationKuwahara, K., Watanabe, T., Takemura, J., Omori, S. et al., "Optimization of In-Cylinder Flow and Mixing for a Center-Spark Four-Valve Engine Employing the Concept of Barrel-Stratification," SAE Technical Paper 940986, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940986.
- Kiyota, Y. Akishino, K. Ando, H. Concept of Lean Combustion by Barrel-Stratification SAE Paper No. 920678 1992
- Ando, H. Development of the MVV Engine Employing a Novel Lean Burn Concept, Barrel-Stratification Proceedings of 1992 Vienna Motor Symposium 12 167 224 1992
- Kuwahara, K. Ando, H. TDC Flow Field Structure of Two-Intake Valve Engines with Pent-roof Combustion Chamber International Journal of Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineering 36 4 688 1993
- Kuwahara, K. Watanabe, T. Kawai, T. Ando, H. Three-Dimensional In-Cylinder Flow Field Structure Measurement by Three-Color Laser Sheet Method Proceedings of 11th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (in Japanese) 567 1993
- Kuwahara, K. Ando, H Analysis of Barrel-Stratified Lean-Burn Flame Structure by Two-Dimensional Chemi-Luminescence Measurement International Journal of Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineering 1994
- Kuwahara, K. Kawai, T. Ando, H. Flame Structure in In-Cylinder Flow Field Controlled by Opposed Jets Proceedings of 11th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (in Japanese) 109 1993
- Abraham, J. Williams, F. A. Bracco, F. V. A Discussion of Turbulent Flame Structure in Premixed Charges SAE paper 850345 1985