This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
100 Hour Endurance Testing of a High Output Adiabatic Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An advanced low heat rejection engine concept has successfully completed a 100 hour endurance test. The combustion chamber components were insulated with thermal barrier coatings. The engine components included a titanium piston, titanium headface plate, titanium cylinder liner insert, M2 steel valve guides and monolithic zirconia valve seat inserts. The tribological system was composed of a ceramic chrome oxide coated cylinder liner, chrome carbide coated piston rings and an advanced polyolester class lubricant. The top piston compression ring Included a novel design feature to provide self-cleaning of ring groove lubricant deposits to prevent ring face scuffing. The prototype test engine demonstrated 52 percent reduction in radiator heat rejection with reduced intake air aftercooling and strategic forced oil cooling.
|Technical Paper||Observations on Cylinder-Bore Wear|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Internal Combustion Engines - Piston Vocabulary|
CitationWoods, M., Bryzik, W., and Schwarz, E., "100 Hour Endurance Testing of a High Output Adiabatic Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 940951, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940951.
- Woods M. Bryzik W. Schwarz E. “Heat Rejection from High Output Adiabatic Diesel Engine” SAE Technical Paper 920541 1992
- Badgley P. Kamo R. Bryzik W. Schwarz E. “Nato Durability Test of an Adiabatic Truck Engine” SAE Technical Paper 900621 1990
- Woods M. Oda I. “ PSZ Ceramics for Adiabatic Engine Components” SAE Technical Paper 820429 1982
- Hoag K. McAvoy P. “An Analysis of the Use of Monolithic Ceramics to control Diesel Cylinder Head Heat Rejection” ASME Paper 87-ICE-27 1987
- Danielson E. Turner D Elwart J Bryzik W. “Thermomechanical Stress Analysis of Novel Low Heat Rejection Cylinder Head Designs” SAE Technical Paper 930985 1993