This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fabrication and Properties of Metal Matrix Composites for Automotive Brake Caliper Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Metal matrix composites were produced by the PRIMEX™ pressureless metal infiltration process. Properties of the composites were determined as a function of particulate loading, filler type, alloy chemistry, and test temperature. Using the property data, a generic brake caliper bridge geometry was designed and modeled. The results of the modeling suggested that composite caliper bridges can be equivalent in stiffness to ductile iron components at only 43% of the mass, and equivalent in stiffness to aluminum components at only 60% of the mass. In addition, composites containing unreinforced regions (i.e., areas without ceramic particulates) were fabricated to facilitate drilling and tapping at attachment locations. The strength of the threads in these regions was evaluated and compared with thread strengths in iron, Al alloy, and monolithic metal matrix composite.
CitationAghajanian, M., Altland, G., Barron-Antolin, P., and Nagelberg, A., "Fabrication and Properties of Metal Matrix Composites for Automotive Brake Caliper Applications," SAE Technical Paper 940849, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940849.
- Aghajanian M. K. Burke J. T. White D. R. Nagelberg A. S. “A New Infiltration Process for the Fabrication of Metal Matrix Composites” SAMPE Q. 20 43 6 1989
- Aghajanian M. K. Rocazella M. A. Burke J. T. Keck S. D. “The Fabrication of Metal Matrix Composites by a Pressureless Infiltration Technique” J. Mater. Sci. 26 447 55 1991
- Metals Handbook: Desk Edition ASM International Metals Park, Ohio 1985
- Bonnen J. J. Allison J. E. Jones J. W. “Fatigue Behavior of a 2xxx Series Aluminum Alloy Reinforced with 15 Vol. Pct. SiCp” Met. Trans. 1007 19 1991
- Tummala R. R. Rymaszewski E. J. Microelectronics Packaging Handbook Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 1989
- Rohatgi P. Asthana R. “The Solidification of Metal Matrix Particulate Composites” J. Metals 43 35 41 1991
- Machining of Composite Materials: Conference Proceedings Srivatsan T. S. Bowden D. M ASM International Metals Park, Ohio 1992
- Caplygin D. “Lightweight Separate Function Calipers with All Aluminum Alloy Housings” SAE Technical Paper Series , No. 800785 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit 1980
- Bamsey I. “AP Racing Four-Pot Formula 1 Brake Caliper: Stopping Mansell” Racecar Eng. 2 3 46 50 1992
- Lovell B. “Metal Matrix Composites: A Relevant Technology” Racecar Eng. 2 6 37 41 1992