This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Compatibility Study of Mixtures of a Monoacid/Dibasic Acid Coolant and a Traditional Nitrite-Free Coolant
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Mixtures of a novel corrosion inhibitor, based on the synergistic combination of aliphatic mono- and dibasic acids with a traditional coolant have been evaluated in:
a stability test
an electrochemical test
the ASTM D 1384 Glassware Corrosion Test
the ASTM D 4340 Aluminum Heat-Rejection Test
a Dynamic Heat-Transfer Test.
This paper discusses the results of these tests and the relevance of the tests in assessing the performance of the coolant mixtures. Recommendations are made to the selection of methods that provide significant information on coolant compatibility.
CitationVan de Ven, P. and Maes, J., "A Compatibility Study of Mixtures of a Monoacid/Dibasic Acid Coolant and a Traditional Nitrite-Free Coolant," SAE Technical Paper 940769, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940769.
SAE 1994 Transactions: Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
Number: V103-5; Published: 1995-09-01
Number: V103-5; Published: 1995-09-01
- Woodward S.M. Gershun A.V. “Characterization of Used Engine Coolants by Statistical Analysis” Engine Coolant Testing Third Beal R.E. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelpia 1993 234 247
- Cooper N.R. Hannigan H.J. McCourt J.C. A one Thousand Car Assessment of the U.S. Car Population Cooling Systems” SAE Report 831821 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1983
- Butler, G. Mercer, A.D. “Inhibitor Formulations for Engine Coolants,” British Corrosion Journal 12 3 1977 171 174
- Hersch, P. Hare, J.B. Sutherland, S.M. “An Experimental Survey of Rust Preservatives in Water: II. The screening of Organic Inhibitors,” Journal of Applied Chemistry 11 1961 261 271
- Darden, J.W. Triebel, C.A. Maes, J.P. Van Neste, W. “Monoacid-Diacid Combinations as Corrosion Inhibitors in Antifreeze Formulations” Worldwide Trends in Engine Coolants, Coolant System Materials and Testing, SP-811 , Paper 900804 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit 1990
- Bond, A.P. “Pitting Corrosion-A Review of Recent Advances in Testing Methods and Interpretation,” Localized Corrosion-Cause of Metal Failure, STP 516 Henthorne M. American Society for Testing and Materials Atlantic City, N.J. 1971 250 261
- Burns, J.M. “Fleet Test Correlations of Original Equipment Coolant Pump Failures and Engine Coolant Formulations” Engine Coolant Testing Third Beal R.E. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelpia 1993 25 43
- 1986 “Testing of Coolant Additive Properties to be used in Engine Coolants” 1986
- Van de Ven P. Maes J.P. “The Effect of Silicate Content in Engine Coolants on the Corrosion Protection of Aluminum Heat-Rejecting Surfaces” Paper Offer 94HX-17, 1994 SAE International Congress & Exposition
- Pourbaix M. ‘Theoretical and Experimental Considerations in Corrosion testing’ CebelcorRT. 186., ASTM annual meeting Toronto 1970
- France W.D., Jr. ‘Applications and Limitations of Controlled Potential Corrosion Tests’ Cebelcor RT.178 1970
- Maes J.P. Van de Ven P. “Corrosion Protection of Aluminum Heat-Transfer Surfaces in Engine Coolamts Using monoacid/Diacid Inhibitor Technology” Engine Coolant Testing Third Beal R.E. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelpia 1993 11 24
- Miller D.L. “Prior Protection provided by Aliphatic Acid Based Coolants” Internal Texaco Report 1992
- Truhan J.J., Jr. Hudgens R.D. “Effect of Nitrate Concentration on Passivation of Aluminum Alloys in Commercial Coolants for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines” Worldwide Trends in Engine Coolants, Coolant System Materials and Testing, SP-811 , Paper 900436 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit 1990
- Gonçalves R.C. Coradini N.M. Olivera W.X. Corrosion Science 33 11 1992 1667 1675
- Mercer A.D. “The Options Available in the Development of a Laboratory Test for Assessing Corrosion in Heat-Transfer Conditions” MTI Publication N˚ 17 The Materials Technology Institute of the Chemical Process Industries, Inc. Columbus, Ohio 1985
- Wiggle, R.R. Hospadaruk, V. Tibaudo, F.M. “Corrosion of Cast Aluminum Alloys under Heat-Transfer Conditions” SAE paper 810038 February 1981