This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Compatibility Study of Mixtures of a Monoacid/Dibasic Acid Coolant and a Traditional Nitrite-Free Coolant
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Mixtures of a novel corrosion inhibitor, based on the synergistic combination of aliphatic mono- and dibasic acids with a traditional coolant have been evaluated in:
a stability test
an electrochemical test
the ASTM D 1384 Glassware Corrosion Test
the ASTM D 4340 Aluminum Heat-Rejection Test
a Dynamic Heat-Transfer Test.
This paper discusses the results of these tests and the relevance of the tests in assessing the performance of the coolant mixtures. Recommendations are made to the selection of methods that provide significant information on coolant compatibility.
CitationVan de Ven, P. and Maes, J., "A Compatibility Study of Mixtures of a Monoacid/Dibasic Acid Coolant and a Traditional Nitrite-Free Coolant," SAE Technical Paper 940769, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940769.
SAE 1994 Transactions: Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
Number: V103-5 ; Published: 1995-09-01
Number: V103-5 ; Published: 1995-09-01
- Woodward S.M. and Gershun A.V.,“Characterization of Used Engine Coolants by Statistical Analysis”, Engine Coolant Testing: Third Volume, ASTM STP 1192, Beal R.E., Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelpia, 1993, pp. 234-247
- Cooper N.R., Hannigan H.J., McCourt J.C.,A one Thousand Car Assessment of the U.S. Car Population Cooling Systems”, SAE Report 831821, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1983
- Butler, G. and Mercer, A.D., “Inhibitor Formulations for Engine Coolants,”British Corrosion Journal, Vol. 12(3), 1977, pp 171-174.
- Hersch, P., Hare, J.B. and Sutherland, S.M., “An Experimental Survey of Rust Preservatives in Water: II. The screening of Organic Inhibitors,” Journal of Applied Chemistry, Vol. 11, 1961, pp. 261-271.
- Darden, J.W., Triebel, C.A., Maes, J.P. and Van Neste, W., “Monoacid-Diacid Combinations as Corrosion Inhibitors in Antifreeze Formulations”, Worldwide Trends in Engine Coolants, Coolant System Materials and Testing, SP-811, Paper 900804, Society of Automotive Engineers, Detroit, 1990.
- Bond, A.P., “Pitting Corrosion-A Review of Recent Advances in Testing Methods and Interpretation,” Localized Corrosion-Cause of Metal Failure, STP 516, Henthorne M., American Society for Testing and Materials, Atlantic City, N.J., 1971, pp. 250-261
- Burns, J.M., “Fleet Test Correlations of Original Equipment Coolant Pump Failures and Engine Coolant Formulations”,Engine Coolant Testing: Third Volume, ASTM STP 1192, Beal R.E., Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelpia, 1993, pp. 25-43
- Forschungsvereinigung Verbrennungskraftmachinen e.V., “Prüfung der Eignung von Kühlmittelzusätzen für die Kühlflüssigkeiten von Verbrennungsmotoren”, FVV, Heft R443, 1986, Frankfurt am Main. (“Testing of Coolant Additive Properties to be used in Engine Coolants”, FVV, Heft R443, 1986,Frankfurt am Main.)
- Van de Ven P. and Maes J.P., “The Effect of Silicate Content in Engine Coolants on the Corrosion Protection of Aluminum Heat-Rejecting Surfaces”, Paper Offer 94HX-17, 1994 SAE International Congress & Exposition, to be published.
- Pourbaix M.,‘Theoretical and Experimental Considerations in Corrosion testing’,CebelcorRT. 186., ASTM annual meeting, Toronto, 1970.
- France W.D.,Jr., ‘Applications and Limitations of Controlled Potential Corrosion Tests’, Cebelcor RT.178, 1970.
- Maes J.P. and Van de Ven P.,“Corrosion Protection of Aluminum Heat-Transfer Surfaces in Engine Coolamts Using monoacid/Diacid Inhibitor Technology”,Engine Coolant Testing: Third Volume, ASTM STP 1192, Beal R.E., Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelpia, 1993, pp. 11-24
- Miller D.L., “Prior Protection provided by Aliphatic Acid Based Coolants”, Internal Texaco Report, 1992
- Truhan J.J., Jr. and Hudgens R.D., “Effect of Nitrate Concentration on Passivation of Aluminum Alloys in Commercial Coolants for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines”, Worldwide Trends in Engine Coolants, Coolant System Materials and Testing, SP-811, Paper 900436, Society of Automotive Engineers, Detroit, 1990
- Gonçalves R.C., Coradini N.M., Olivera W.X., Corrosion Science, 33(11), 1992, pp 1667-1675.
- Mercer A.D., “The Options Available in the Development of a Laboratory Test for Assessing Corrosion in Heat-Transfer Conditions”, MTI Publication N˚ 17,The Materials Technology Institute of the Chemical Process Industries, Inc. Columbus, Ohio, 1985.
- Wiggle, R.R., Hospadaruk, V., Tibaudo, F.M.,“Corrosion of Cast Aluminum Alloys under Heat-Transfer Conditions”, SAE paper 810038, February 1981.