This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Experiments on the Effects of Design and Operational Parameters on Piston Secondary Motion and Piston Slap
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experiments were done to quantify the dynamic motion of the piston and oil-film during piston impact on the cylinder bore, commonly known as “piston slap.” Parameters measured include engine block vibration, piston-skirt to liner separation, oil-film thickness between the piston and liner, and other engine operating conditions. Experimental parametric studies were performed covering the following: engine operating parameters - spark timing, liner temperature, oil-film thickness, oil type, and engine speed; and engine design parameters - piston-skirt surface waviness, piston-skirt/cylinder-liner clearance, and wrist-pin offset.
Two dynamic modes of piston-motion-induced vibration were observed, and effects of changes in engine operating and design parameters were investigated for both types of slap. It was evident that engine design parameters have stronger effects on piston slap intensity, with piston-skirt/liner clearance and wrist-pin offset being the dominant parameters. However, for given engine and component geometries, slap intensity was significantly affected by lubricant properties.
|Technical Paper||A Numerical Model of Piston Secondary Motion and Piston Slap in Partially Flooded Elastohydrodynamic Skirt Lubrication|
|Technical Paper||Vibration Due to Piston Slap and Combustion in Gasoline and Diesel Engines|
- James P. Ryan - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Victor W. Wong - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Richard H. Lyon - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- David P. Hoult - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Yoshiki Sekiya - Nissan Motor Co.
- Yoichi Kobayashi - Nissan Motor Co.
- Shunichi Aoyama - Nissan Motor Co.
CitationRyan, J., Wong, V., Lyon, R., Hoult, D. et al., "Engine Experiments on the Effects of Design and Operational Parameters on Piston Secondary Motion and Piston Slap," SAE Technical Paper 940695, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940695.
New Developments in Engine Design and Engine Component Technology
Number: SP-1017; Published: 1994-03-01
Number: SP-1017; Published: 1994-03-01
- Whitacre, J. P. “Automotive Gasoline Engine Piston Noise, Sources and Solutions,” SAE Paper 901491 1990
- Haddad, S. D. Howard, D. A. “Analysis of Piston Slap-Induced Noise and Assessment of Some Methods of Control in Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 800517 1980
- Amann, C. A. “Engineering the Spark Ignition Engine System -- The Piston-Rings-Cylinder Wall Interface,” XXII FISITA Congress Dearborn, MI/Washington, D.C. September 25-30 1988
- Sander, W. Steidle W. Wacker, E. “Piston Movement and its Influence on Noise of Automotive Engines,” SAE Paper 7900272 1972
- Vora, K. C. Ghosh, B. “Vibration Due to Piston Slap and Combustion in Gasoline and Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 911060 1991
- Lalor, N. Grover, E. C. Priede, T. “Engine Noise Due to Mechanical Impacts at Pistons and Bearings,” SAE Paper 800402 1980
- Leschiutta, M. C. Eng, J. A. Martin, J. K. “Dynamic Piston Position Measurements Using a Laser Range-Finding Technique,” SAE Paper 900482
- Okubo, M. Kanda H. Yonezawa, T. “Analysis and Reduction of Piston Slap Noise in Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 890127 1989
- Kaiser, H. J. Schmillen, K. Spessert B. “Acoustical Optimization of the Piston Slap by Combination of Computing and Experiments,” SAE Paper 880100 1988
- Furuhama, S. Hirukawa, K. “Piston Slap Motion and Engine Noise under Low Temperature Idling Operation of Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 830066 1983
- Zhu, Dong Cheng, H. S. Arai, T. Hamai, K. “A Numerical Analysis for Piston Skirts in Mixed Lubrication -- Part I: Basic Modeling,” ASME Paper 91-Trib-66
- Zhu, Dong Hu, Y. Cheng, H. S. Arai, T. Hamai, K. “A Numerical Analysis for Piston Skirts in Mixed Lubrication -- Deformation Considerations,” ASME Paper91-Trib-22
- Shaw, B.T. Hoult, D.P. Wong, V.W. “Development of Engine Lubricant Film Thickness Diagnostics Using Fiber Optics and Laser Fluorescence,” SAE Paper 920651 1992
- Wong, V.W. Tian, T. Lang, H. Ryan, J.P. Sekiya, Y. Kobayashi, Y. Aoyama, S. “A Numerical Model of Piston Secondary Motion and Piston Slap in Partially-Flooded Elastohydrodynamic Skirt Lubrication,” SAE Annual Congress & Exposition Detroit, MI February 1994
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Ryan, James P. “Impact Analysis of Piston Slap in a Spark Ignition Engine,” M.I.T., Department of Mechanical Engineering 1993