This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Analysis of Methanol-Fueled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To analyze the combustion mechanism of the so-called Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) in a two-stroke S.I. engine, a measuring system to obtain images of radical luminescence in the combustion chamber was developed. The ATAC engine tested was equipped with a quartz windows as the cylinder head. The instantaneous luminescence from radical species was observed using an image intensifier with a single band pass filter for both conventional and ATAC operating conditions. At ATAC operation, emissions from OH radicals were observed before heat release began, and after that, emissions from CH were observed. It was found that the ignition was initiated over the entire area of the combustion chamber and “bulk-like” and/or “non propagating” combustion occurred during ATAC engine operation.
CitationIida, N., "Combustion Analysis of Methanol-Fueled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation," SAE Technical Paper 940684, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940684.
- Onishi Shigeru Jo Souk Hong Shoda Katsuji Jo Pan Do Kato Satoshi “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) -- A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 790501
- Hirao Osamu 1984 AFT Domestic Committee Report “Problem of Alcohol Fuels,” 5 13 40 1984
- Noguchi Masaaki Tanaka Yukiyasu Tanaka Taro Takeuch Yukishita “A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products during Combustion,” SAE Paper 790840
- Najt Paul M. Foster David E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion,” SAE Paper 830264
- Thring R. H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines,” SAE Paper 892068
- Pearse R. W. B. Gaydon A. G. “The Identification of Molecular Spectra,” London New York Chapman and Hall 1941
- Shoji H. Sano T. Arai J. Ikeda S. Saima A. Iwasaki M. “Clarification of Combustion Mechanism in a Spark Ignition Engine by Spectroscopic Analysis,” The 9th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 33 38 1991-7
- Shoji H. Ikeda S. Shiino K. Saima A. “Measurement of luminescence Intensity in Abnormal Combustion,” The 10th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 271 276 1992-7