This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Long Life Performance of Carboxylic Acid Based Coolants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An inhibitor package which is silicate-, nitrate-, borate- and phosphate-free has been developed as the basis for a world-wide automotive coolant formulation. The formulation contains aliphatic mono- and dicarboxylic acids and tolyltriazole as the sole inhibitors. Formulations containing carboxylic acid inhibitors have been studied in ASTM bench tests and found to sufficiently protect all prevalent cooling system metals. In addition, fleet tests have shown that carboxylic acid inhibitors deplete much more slowly than conventional inhibitors, making possible a much longer life coolant. Results from laboratory tests which simulate extended usage indicated that carboxylic acid-containing coolants have a significantly longer life span for the protection of all cooling system metals. Finally, the carboxylic acid/tolyltriazole inhibitor package is completely adaptable to a propylene glycol base.
CitationWashington, D., Miller, D., Maes, J., Van de Ven, P. et al., "Long Life Performance of Carboxylic Acid Based Coolants," SAE Technical Paper 940500, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940500.
- Burns J. M., “Fleet Test Correlations of Original Equipment Coolant Pump Failures and Engine Coolant Formulations”, Engine Coolant Testing: Third Volume, ASTM STP 1192, Beal R. E., Ed., ASTM, Philadelphia, 1993, pp. 25-43.
- ASTM D-4340, “Standard Test Method for Corrosion of Cast Aluminum Alloys in Engine Coolants Under Heat-Rejecting Conditions”, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, vol. 15.05, ASTM, Philadelphia, 1993, pp. 160-164.
- ASTM D-1384, “Standard Test Method for Corrosion Test for Engine Coolants in Glassware”, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, vol. 15.05, ASTM, Philadelphia, 1993, pp. 33-39.
- Hirozawa, S. T., Wilson, J. C., U. S. Patent No. 4,210,549, 1 July 1980.
- ASTM D-2570, “Standard Test Method for Simulated Service Corrosion Testing of Engine Coolants”, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, vol. 15.05, ASTM, Philadelphia, 1993, pp. 61-67.
- Harrop, D., “Chemical Inhibitors for Corrosion Control”, Chemical Inhibitors for Corrosion Control, Clubley, B. G., Ed., Royal Society of Chemistry, Manchester, 1988, pp. 1-20.
- Wiggle, R. R., Hospadaruk, V., Tibaudo, F. M., “Corrosion of Cast Aluminum Alloys under Heat Transfer Conditions”, SAE 810038, 1981, pp. 1-12.
- ASTM D-2809, “Standard Test Method for Cavitation Erosion-Corrosion Characteristics of Aluminum Pumps with Engine Coolants”, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, vol. 15.05, ASTM, Philadelphia, 1993, pp. 76-79.