This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Silicate Content in Engine Coolants on the Corrosion Protection of Aluminum Heat-Rejecting Surfaces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of small amounts of silicate on coolant performance has been studied. The corrosion protection provided by different coolant technologies was evaluated for different silicate contents. This work includes results from electrochemical tests and static and dynamic heat-rejecting tests on aluminum surfaces.
The results indicate that small amounts of silicate have a negative effect on the corrosion protection of aluminum. Depletion of silicates can therefor be expected to affect aluminum heat-rejecting surfaces. The use of carboxylic acid corrosion inhibitors can overcome this problem.
CitationVan de Ven, P. and Maes, J., "The Effect of Silicate Content in Engine Coolants on the Corrosion Protection of Aluminum Heat-Rejecting Surfaces," SAE Technical Paper 940498, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940498.
SAE 1994 Transactions: Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
Number: V103-5; Published: 1995-09-01
Number: V103-5; Published: 1995-09-01
- Wiggle, R.R. Hospadaruk, V. Tibaudo, F.M. “ Corrosion of Cast Aluminum Alloys under Heat-Transfer Conditions ” SAE paper 810038 February 1981
- Maes J.P. Van de Ven P. “ Corrosion Protection of Aluminum Heat-Transfer Surfaces in Engine Coolamts Using monoacid/Diacid Inhibitor Technology ” Engine Coolant Testing: Third Volume, ASTM STP 1192 Beal R.E. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelpia 1993 11 24
- France, W.D., Jr. “ Crevice Corrosion of Metals, ” Localized Corrosion-Cause of Metal Failure, STP 516 M. Henthorne, American Society for Testing and Materials Atlantic City, N.J. 1971 164 200
- Bond, A.P. “ Pitting Corrosion-A Review of Recent Advances in Testing Methods and Interpretation, ” Localized Corrosion-Cause of Metal Failure, STP 516 M. Henthorne, American Society for Testing and Materials Atlantic City, N.J. 1971 250 261
- Tompson Payer “ Corrosion under Heat-Transfer Conditions ” MTI Publication N o 17 The Materials Technology Institute of the Chemical Process Industries, Inc. Columbus, Ohio 1985
- Darden, J.W. Triebel, C.A. Maes, J.P. Van Neste, W. “ Monoacid-Diacid Combinations as Corrosion Inhibitors in Antifreeze Formulations ” Worldwide Trends in Engine Coolants, Coolant System Materials and Testing, SP-811 Paper 900804 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit 1990
- Hudgens R.D. Bugelski W.G. “ Analysis of Coolants from Diesel Engines ” Worldwide Trends in Engine Coolants, Coolant System Materials and Testing, SP-811 Paper 900435 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit 1990
- Hudgens R.D. Hercamp R.D. Engine Cooling Testing: Second Volume, STP 887 American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia 1986
- Mercer A.D. “ The Options Available in the Development of a Laboratory Test for Assessing Corrosion in Heat-Transfer Conditions ” MTI Publication N o 17 The Materials Technology Institute of the Chemical Process Industries, Inc. Columbus, Ohio 1985
- Darden, J.W. Triebel, C.A. Maes, J.P. Van Neste, W. 4,647,392 3 March 1987
- Miller D.L. “ Test results on the Influence of Phosphate and Borate Content in Engine Coolants on the Corrosion Protection for Aluminum ”
- Kaczala P. Bouvier J. Contraintes et Evolution des Liquides de Refroidissement Pour des Liquides de Refroidissement de Qualité Groupement Français de Coordination Rueil-Malmaison 1991
- Gonçalves R.C. Coradini N.M. Olivera W.X. Corrosion Science 33 11 1992 1667 1675
- Pourbaix M. ‘ Theoretical and Experimental Considerations in Corrosion testing ’ Cebelcor RT.186., ASTM annual meeting Toronto 1970
- France, W.D. Jr. ‘ Applications and Limitations of Controlled Potential Corrosion Tests ’ Cebelcor RT.178 1970
- Rowe L.C. “ Application of Inhibitors in Automobiles and Their Environment ” Corrosion Inhibitors, NACE Nathan C.C National Association of Corrosion Engineers Houston 1973 173 190
- Hirozawa S.T. “ Study of the Mechanism for Inhibition of the Localized Corrosion of Aluminum by Galvanostaircase Polarization ” Corrosion Inhibition, NACE-7 Hausler R.H. National Association of Corrosion Engineers Houston 1988 105 113
- Frey, G. Liebold, G. Starke, K. Anforderungen an moderne Kühlstoffe Mineralöl Technik November 1985 Beratungsgesellschaft für Mineralöl-Anwendungstechnik mbH Hamburg “ Requirements for modern Engine Coolants ” Mineralöl Technik November 1985
- Prüfung der Eignung von Kühlmittelzusätzen für die Kühlflüssigkeiten von Verbrennungsmotoren Frankfurt am Main “ Testing of Coolant Additive Properties to be used in Engine Coolants ” 1986 Frankfurt am Main
- Truhan, J.J. Jr. R.D. Hudgens “ Effect of Nitrate Concentration on Passivation of Aluminum Alloys in Commercial Coolants for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines ” Worldwide Trends in Engine Coolants, Coolant System Materials and Testing, SP-811 Paper 900436 Society of Automotive Engineers Detroit 1990