This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Behavior of Multiphase Fuel-Flow in the Intake Port
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Most of the current fuel supply specifications, including the key parameters in the transient fuel control strategies, are experimentally determined since the complexity of multiphase fuel flow behavior inside the intake manifold is still not quantitatively understood. Optimizing these specifications, especially the parameters in transient fueling systems, is a key issue in improving fuel efficiency and reducing exhaust emissions.
In this paper, a model of fuel spray, wall-film flow and wall-film vaporization has been developed to gain a better understanding of the multiphase fuel-flow behavior within the intake manifold which may help to determine the fuel supply specifications in a multi-point injection system.
CitationChen, G., Vincent, M., and Gutermuth, T., "The Behavior of Multiphase Fuel-Flow in the Intake Port," SAE Technical Paper 940445, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940445.
- Aquino C. F. “Transient A/F Control Characteristics of the 5 Liter Central Fuel Injection Engine” Ford Motor Co. SAE 810494 1981
- Wu H. Aquino F. Chou G. L. “A 1.6 Liter Engine and Intake Manifold Dynamic Model” Ford Motor Co. 1983
- Fozo S. Robert Aquino C. F. “Transient A/F Characteristics for Cold Operation of a 1.6 Liter Engine with Sequential Fuel Injection” Ford Motor Co. SAE 880691 1988
- Boam D. J. Finlay I. C. Martins J. G. “A Model for Predicting Engine Torque Response During Rapid Throttle Transients in Port-Injected Spark-Ignition Engines” National Engr. Lab. UK SAE 890565 1989
- Benninger N. F. Plapp G. “Requirements and Performance of Engine Management Systems Under Transient Conditions” Robert Bosch GmbH SAE 910083 1991
- Sekozawa T. Takahashi S. Shioya M. Ishii T. Asano S. “Development of a Highly Accurate Air-Fuel Ratio Control Method Based on Internal State Estimation” Hitachi, Ltd SAE 920290 1992
- Hendricks E. Sorenson S. C. “Mean Value Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines”, Inst. of Auto. Control systems” The Tech. Univ. of Denmark SAE 900616 1990
- Hendricks E. Sorenson S. C. “SI Engine Controls and Mean Value Engine Modeling” Tech. Univ. of Denmark SAE 910258 1991
- Chen G. “Influence of Air Swirl on Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge Combustion Engine” Zhejiang University Hangzhou, China 1984
- Lo R. S. “Investigation of Fuel-Droplet Flow in an Idealized Automotive Engine Induction System” Wayne State University Detroit, Michigan 1976
- Aggarwal S. K. Chen G. “Vaporization Behavior of Multi-Component Fuel Droplets in a Hot Air Stream” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 10 1991
- Chen G. Puri I. K. Aggarwal S. K. “Droplet Evaporation in a Nonpremixed Counterflowing Flame” AIAA 29th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, Nevada January 1991
- Aggarwal S. K. “Modeling of a Dilute Vaporizing Muticomponent Fuel Spray” University of Illinois Chicago Int. Heat Mass Transfer 30 9 1949 1961 1987
- Nogi T. Ohyama Y. Yamauchi T. Kuroiwa H. “Mixture Formation of Fuel Injection Systems in Gasoline Engines,” Hitachi, Ltd SAE 880558 1988
- Maroteaux D. “Study of Fuel-Air Mixture Formation in Spark Ignition Engines” University of Paris France Feb. 1992
- Yuen W. W. Servati H. B. “A Mathematical Engine Model Including the Effect of Engine Emissions” University of California Santa Barbara, CA SAE 840036 1984
- Servati H. B. Yuen W. W. “Deposition of Fuel Droplets in Horizontal Intake Manifolds and Behavior of Fuel Film Flow on Its Walls” University of California Santa Barbara SAE 840239 1984
- Servati H. B. Herman E. W. “Spray/Wall Interactions Simulation” Servo-Tech Simulation Inc. SAE 890566 1989
- Servati H. B. Aquino C. F. “A Physical Based Wall Wetting Model to Predict Induction System Dynamics for Gasoline Engines” Ford Motor Co. ASME AMD 80 1986
- Reid R. C. Prausnitz J. M. Sherwood T. K. “The Properties of Gases and Liquids” McGraw-Hill Book Company 1977
- Sparrow E. M. Gregg J. L. “The Variable Fluid Property Problem in Free Convection” Transaction of American Society for Mechanical Engineering 80 879 886 1958