This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drag Measurements on 2, 3 and 4 Car Platoons
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Wind tunnel tests are conducted using l/8th scale models of a standard U.S. mini-van to study the effect of inter-vehicle spacing on the drag of each of the vehicles in 2, 3 & 4-car platoons. The wind tunnel has a ground plane equipped with boundary layer control provided by means of suction over a homogeneously porous surface. Internal, 3-component force sensors are used to measure drag, side force, and yawing moment on each model. Drag coefficient of an individual vehicle alone is about 0.33. When spacing between platoon members is greater than about one vehicle length, the interaction among members is relatively weak. The drag of the lead vehicle is unaffected by the presence of other platoon members; each succeeding vehicle exhibits a lower drag coefficient. For spacings less than 1 vehicle length, drag coefficients are reduced for all members of the platoon, although the interior members experience the greater savings. At a spacing of half a vehicle length, the average drag coefficient in a 4-vehicle platoon falls to 0.62 of the non-platoon value.
CitationZabat, M., Frascaroli, S., and Browand, F., "Drag Measurements on 2, 3 and 4 Car Platoons," SAE Technical Paper 940421, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940421.
- Atwell, A. A. McLean, R. F. 1961 “The Autoline A Missing Link in City to City Transportation” SAE Paper No. 610148
- Hucho, W. H. Janssen, L. J. Emmelman, A. J. 1976 “The Optimization of Body Details - A Method for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Road Vehicles” SAE Paper No. 760185
- Romberg, G. F. Chianese, F, Jr. Lajoie, R. G. 1971 “Aerodynamics of Race Cars in Drafting and Passing Situations” SAE Paper No. 710213
- Zabat, M. Frascaroli, S. Browand, F. 1993 “Drag Measurements on a Platoon of Vehicles” PATH Publication No. UCB-ITF-TRR-93-27
- Ono, K. Hatamura, Y. 1986 “A New Design for 6-Component Force/Torque Sensors” Mechanical Problems in Measuring Force and Mass Wieringa, H. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers Dordecht 39 48
- Mercker, E. 1986 “A Blockage Correction for Automotive Testing in a Wind Tunnel with Closed Test Section” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 22 149 167
- Hackett, J. E. Wilsden, D. J. Lilley, D. E. 1979 “Estimation of Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review and Data Correlation” NASA CR-15 224
- Hucho, W-H. Sovran, G. 1993 “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles” Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 25 485 537