This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Detailed Drag Study Using the Coastdown Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a technique for determining the components of vehicle drag based on the well established coastdown method. Using on board anemometers to continuously measure the ambient wind input and a sophisticated analysis procedure the method makes it possible for small changes in vehicle configuration to be analysed. The experimental technique and analytical approach are described and discussed in detail, and the accuracy achieved and that expected in further tests is highlighted.
CitationPassmore, M. and Le Good, G., "A Detailed Drag Study Using the Coastdown Method," SAE Technical Paper 940420, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940420.
- PASSMORE, MA JENKINS, EG A comparison of the coastdown and steady state torque methods of estimating vehicle drag forces SAE paper 880475 1988
- BUCKLEY, F.T et al. Analysis of coastdown data to assess aerodynamic drag reduction on full scale tractor trailer trucks in windy environments SAE paper 760850 1976
- PASSMORE, M.A JENKINS, E.G Measuring vehicle drag forces using an on board microcomputer Proc Inst of Mech Engineers 204 1990
- YASIN, T.P The analytical basis of automobile coastdown testing SAE paper 780338 1978
- PASSMORE, M.A The measurement and analysis of road vehicle drag forces PhD Thesis Loughborough University of Technology 1990