This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Chrysler 3/8-Scale Pilot Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Chrysler 3/8-scale model automotive wind tunnel is a pilot facility for a planned full-size tunnel of the same design. The 3/8-scale tunnel, which has a complete compliment of instrumentation including a pressure system and high-precision balance, will also be used for 3/8 model aerodynamic development testing of vehicles after piloting is complete. The tunnel is convertible from a slotted-wall test section to a semi-open jet test section. Commissioning, calibration, and piloting results show the performance of some features being piloted including slotted-wall effectiveness, open jet collector performance, and tunnel background noise levels. Calibration results include static and dynamic pressure distributions.
CitationRomberg, G., Gunn, J., and Lutz, R., "The Chrysler 3/8-Scale Pilot Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 940416, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940416.
- Whitfield, J.D. Jacocks, J.L. Dietz, W.E. Pate, S.R. “Demonstration of the Adaptive Wall Concept Applied to an Automotive Wind Tunnel,” SAE 820373 February 1982
- Raimondo, S. Clark, P.J.F. “Slotted-Wall Test Section for Automotive Aerodynamic Test Facilities,” May 1982
- Flay, R.G.J. Elfstrom, G.M. Clark, P.J.F. “Slotted-Wall Test Section for Automotive Aerodynamic Tests at Yaw,” SAE 830302 February 1983
- Nilsson, Leif-Uno Berndtsson, Anders “The New Volvo Multipurpose Automotive Wind Tunnel,” SAE 870249 February 1987
- Waudby-Smith, P.M. Rainbird, W.J. “Some Principles of Automotive Aerodynamic Testing in Wind Tunnels with Examples from Slotted-Wall Test Section Facilities,” SAE 850284 February 1985
- Templin, J.T. Raimondo, S. “Experimental Evaluation of Test Section Boundary Interference Effects in Road Vehicle Tests in Wind Tunnels,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 1986 Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Eckert, W. Müller, R. “Influence of Different Wind Tunnel Test Sections - Semi-open jet, Slotted-Wall, Solid Walls - On Aerodynamics Test Results of Passenger Cars and Racing Cars,” Porsche, A.G.
- “Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicles - Semi-Open Jet Wind Tunnel Boundary Interference,” SAE Information Report J2071 1993
- Mercker, E. “General Consideration About Blockage Correction in Semi-Open Jet Wind Tunnels,” SAE Subcommittee 9 1987
- Owen, T.B. “Measured Blockage Effects on Bluff Bodies in Closed and Open Wind Tunnels,” RAE Technical Report 78151 December 1978
- Cooper, K.R. et al “A Comparison of Aerodynamic Drag Measurements on Semi-Open Jet Wind Tunnels,” 6th Colloquium on Industrial Aerodynamics June 1985 AaCHEN
- “Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicles - Closed-Test-Section Wind Tunnel Boundary Interference,” SAE Information Report J2085 1994
- Carr, G.W. “Wind Tunnel Blockage Corrections for Road Vehicles,” MIRA Report No. 1971/4
- Carr, G.W. Stapleford, W.R. “Blockage Effects in Automotive Wind Tunnel Testing,” SAE 860093 Detroit 1986
- Pope, A. Harper, J.J. “Low Speed Wind Tunnel Testing,” John Wiley & Sons 1966
- Maskell, E.C. “A Theory of the Blockage Effect on Bluff Bodies and Stalled Wings in a Closed Wind Tunnel,” November 1963
- Gould, R. W. “Wake Blockage Corrections in a Closed Wind Tunnel for One or Two Wall-Mounted Models Subject to Separated Flow,” 1970
- Thom, A. “Blockage Corrections in a Closed High Speed Tunnel,” November 1943
- Hensel, R.W. “Rectangular Wind Tunnel Corrections Using the Velocity Ratio Method,” June 1951
- Wilsden, D.J. “A Review of Blockage Correction Methods for Automobile Testing in Wind Tunnels,” SAE Working Panel on Tunnel Boundary Corrections February 28 1978
- Hackett, J.E. Wilsden, D.J. “Estimation of Wind Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review of Recent Work at Lockheed-Georgia,” AIAA Paper No. 78-828 April 1978
- Hackett, J.E. Wilsden, D.J. Lilley, D.E. “Estimations of Wind Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review and Data Correlation,” March 1979
- Hackett, J.E. Wilsden, D.J. Lilley, D.E. “Estimations of Wind Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review of the ‘Wall Pressure Signature’ and Other Tunnel Constraint Correction Methods for High Angle-of-Attack Tests,” AGARD Report No. 692. AGARD Fluid Dynamics Panel Round Table Discussion on Wind Tunnel Corrections for High Angle-of-Attack Models Munich FRG May 8 1980
- Mercker, E. “A Blockage Correction for Automotive Testing in a Closed Wind Tunnel,” Proceedings of 6th Colloquium on Industrial Aerodynamics Fachhochschule Aachen 1985
- Geldner, T. F. Moore, R. D. Sanz, J. M. McFarland, E. R. “Wind Tunnel Turning Vanes of Modem Design,” January 6-9 1986
- Knenster, R. Deutenbach, K. Vagt, J. “Measurement of Reference Dynamic Pressure in Open-Jet Automotive Wind Tunnels,” SAE 920344 February 24-28 1992