This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a Spark-Plug-Integrated Fiber-Optic Combustion Pressure Sensor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We present design considerations of a diaphragm-type spark-plug-integrated fiber-optic combustion pressure sensor employing low-cost sensor and optoelectronic components suitable for large-scale production. Sensor system evaluation data are presented for high-engine-load and high-combustion-temperature conditions, and for knock detection. The fiber-optic sensor output closely resembles that of a heat-sunk, flame-shielded instrumentation-grade piezoelectric reference transducer, and demonstrates a high degree of temperature stability. Better than 4% accuracy is demonstrated over a full-scale pressure range.
CitationHe, G. and Wlodarczyk, M., "Evaluation of a Spark-Plug-Integrated Fiber-Optic Combustion Pressure Sensor," SAE Technical Paper 940381, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940381.
- Remboski D. J. Plee S. L. Martin J. K. An Optical Sensor for Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion Analysis and Control SAE paper no. 890159 1989
- Gassenfeit E. H. Powell J. D. “Algorithms for air-fuel ratio estimation using internal combustion engine cylinder pressure,” SAE paper no. 890300 1989
- Sugitani N. Tsukada K. “A combustion pressure sensor for TOYOTA lean burn engine control system” SAE paper no. 930882 1993
- Rizzoni G. “Diagnosis of individual cylinder misfires by signature analysis of crankshaft speed fluctuations,” SAE paper no. 890884 1989
- Sawamoto K. Kawamura Y. Kita T. Matsushita K. “Individual cylinder knock control by detecting cylinder pressure,” SAE paper no. 871911 1987
- Anastasia C. Pestana G.W. “A cylinder pressure sensor for closed loop engine control,” SAE paper no. 870288 1987
- Giallorenzi T. Bucaro J. Dandridge A. Cole J. Rashleigh S. Priest R. “Optical fiber sensor technology,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-18 625 665 1982
- He G. Wlodarczyk M. “Catheter-type disposable fiber-optic biomedical pressure transducer,” Proc. of Ninth International Conf. on Optical Fiber Sensors Italy May 1993
- He G. Patania A. Kluzner M. Vokovich D. Astrakhan V. Wall T. Wlodarczyk M. “Low-cost spark-plug-integrated fiber-optic sensor for combustion pressure monitoring,” SAE paper no. 930853 1993
- He G. Wlodarczyk M. T. “High temperature performance analysis of automotive combustion pressure sensor,” Proc. SPIE 1799 1992
- He G. Wlodarczyk M.T. “Laboratory and in-vehicle evaluation of fiber-optic combustion pressure sensor,” Proc. SPIE 2072 1993
- He G. Wlodarczyk M.T. “Tapered fiber-based diaphragm-type pressure sensor,” Proc. SPIE 2070 1993
- Henein N. Marek S.L. Fragoulis A. “Error Analysis of Time-Dependent Frictional Torque in Reciprocating Engines: Effect of Cylinder Gas Pressure,” STLE Tribology Transactions 35 1992 3 516 522