This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of an Oxidation Catalytic Converter on the Chemical and Biological Characteristics of Diesel Exhaust Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The reduction of diesel engine exhaust emissions was investigated using a conventional low-sulphate catalyst, manufactured by Svenska Emissionsteknik AB, Sweden.
Measurements were made of regulated pollutants (HC, CO, NOx and particulates) and also some unregulated pollutants (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH)). The mutagenic potential of the emissions were investigated by Ames test (Salmonella typhimurium) using tester strains TA98, TA98NR and TA100 both with and without metabolic activation. In general, it appeared that the use of an oxidation catalytic converter decreased pollutants emission.
CitationHansen, K., Bak, F., Andersen, E., Bejder, H. et al., "The Influence of an Oxidation Catalytic Converter on the Chemical and Biological Characteristics of Diesel Exhaust Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 940241, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940241.
- Westerholm R., Winquist L., Egebäck K.E. m.fl. “Chemical Analysis and Biological Testing of Emissions from a Heavy Duty Diesel Truck With an Without Two Different Particualte Traps” SAE 860014
- Dainty E.D., Lawson A. m.fl. “Diesel Emissions Reduction by Ceramic Filters Employing Catalysts or a Fuel Additive” SAE 870014
- Andrews G.E. m.fl. “Diesel Particulate SOF Emissions Reduction Using an Exhaust Catalyst” SAE 870251
- Zelenka P. m. fl. “Ways Toward the Clean Heavy-Duty Diesel” SAE 900602
- Porter B.C., Andersson S.E. m.fl. “Engine and Catalyst Strategies for 1994” SAE 919694
- Brear F., Fredholm S.C.G. m.fl. “The Role of the Through Flow Oxidation Catalyst in the Development of a Low Emissions Specification HD Diesel Engine” SAE 920367
- Arai M. “Impact of Changes in Fuel Properties and Lubrication Oil on Particulate Emission and SOF” SAE 920556
- McClure B.T., Bagley S.T. m.fl. “The Influence of an Oxidation Catalytic Converter and Fuel Consumption on the Chemical and Biological Characteristics of Diesel Exhaust Emissions” SAE 920854
- Maron D.M and Ames B.N. “Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test” Mutation Research 113: p 173-215. (1983)
- Westerholm R., Almen J., Li H., Rannung J.U., Egebäck K.E. and Grägg K.. “Chemical and Biological Characterization of Particulate-,Semivolatile-, and Gas-Phase-Associated Compounds in Diluted Heavy-Duty Diesel Exhausts: A Comparison of Three Different Semivolatile-Phase Samplers”