This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Roll Control for Passenger Cars during Emergency Maneuvers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A nonlinear eight degree of freedom vehicle model has been used to examine the effects of roll stiffness on handling and performance. In addition, various control strategies have been devised which vary the total roll couple distribution in order to improve cornering capability and stopping distance.
Of all cases tested, a controller which varies the total roll stiffness based on roll angle feedback, and continuously updates the roll couple distribution as a function of steering wheel angle, braking input, and the total roll stiffness, yields the greatest improvements in collision avoidance.
|Technical Paper||Motion Planning of Vehicle Obstacle Avoidance in Complex Traffic Scenarios|
CitationConstantine, C. and Law, E., "The Effects of Roll Control for Passenger Cars during Emergency Maneuvers," SAE Technical Paper 940224, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940224.
- Karnopp, D. Margolis D. “Adaptive Suspension Concepts for Road Vehicles.” Vehicle System Dynamics 13 145 60 1984
- Karnopp, D. “Active Damping in Road Vehicle Suspension Systems.” Vehicle System Dynamics 12 291 316 1983
- Karnopp, D. “Theoretical Limitations in Active Vehicle Suspensions.” Vehicle System Dynamics 15 41 54 1986
- Karnopp, D. Crosby, M. J. Harwood R. A. “Vibration Control Using Semi-Active Force Generators.” Journal of Engineering for Industry , Trans. ASME 13 619 26 May 1974
- Margolis, D. “The Response of Active and Semi-Active Suspensions to Realistic Feedback Signals.” Vehicle System Dynamics 11 145 60 1984
- Margolis, D. “Semi-Active Heave and Pitch Control for Ground Vehicles.” Vehicle System Dynamics 11 31 42 1982
- Thompson, A. G. “An Active Suspension With Optimal Linear State Feedback.” Vehicle System Dynamics 5 187 203 1976
- Thompson, A. G. “Optimal and Suboptimal Linear Active Suspensions for Road Vehicles.” Vehicle System Dynamics 13 61 72 1984
- Thompson, A. G. Davis, B. R. Pearce C. E. M. “An Optimal Linear Active Suspension with Finite Road Preview.” SAE Transactions , paper 800520 1981
- Thompson Pearce C. E. M. “An Optimal Suspension for an Automobile on a Random Road.” SAE Transactions , paper 790478 1979
- Malek, K. M. Hedrick J. K. “IAVSD Extensive Summaries; Decoupled Active Suspension Design for Improved Automotive Ride Quality/Handling Performance.” Vehicle System Dynamics 14 78 81 1985
- Li, Y. T. Meiry, J. L. Roeseler W. G. “An Active Roll Mode Suspension for Ground Vehicles.” Journal of Basic Engineering , Trans. ASME 90 167 74 1968
- Pham, A. T. Ugazio P. “Basic Developments of an Active Air Suspension for Passenger Cars.” SAE Transactions , paper 890095 1989
- Yokoya, Y. et al. “Integrated Control System Between Active Suspension and Four Wheel Steering for the 1989 CELICA.” SAE Transactions , paper 901748 1990
- “Nissan Hydraulic Active Suspension.” Nissan Motor Company Internal Technical Report 1989
- Sharp, R. S. Pan, D. “On Active Roll Control for Automobiles.” Proceeding of 12th IAVSD Symposium Lyon, France 1989
- Xia, X. “A Nonlinear Analysis of Closed Loop Driver/Vehicle Performance with Four Wheel Steering Control.” Department of Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University Clemson, SC. December 1990
- Constantine, C. J. Bowman, J. E. Law E. H “Development of Models and Computer Programs for Lateral Dynamics of Automobiles During Combined Braking and Steering Maneuvers.” Department of Mechanical Engineering Technical Report TR-90-132-ME-MMS Clemson University Clemson, SC. June 1991
- Szostak, H. T. et al. “Analytical Modeling of Driver Response in Crash Avoidance Maneuvering, Vol 2: Interactive Tire Model for Driver/Vehicle Simulation.” U. S. Dep't. of Transportation Report NHTSA DOT HS-807-271 April 1988
- Heydinger, G. J. Garrott, W. R. Chrstos J. P. “The Importance of Tire Lag on Simulated Transient Vehicle Response.” SAE Transactions , paper 910235 1991
- Abe, Masato “A Study on Effects of Roll Moment Distribution Control in Active Suspension on Improvement of Limit Performance of Vehicle Handling.” JSAE Review 12 3 July 1991
- Wong J. Y. Theory of Ground Vehicles Canada John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1978 216 17