This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Reduction of Injuries to Car Occupants in Rear End Impacts with Heavy Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
The paper describes the detailed crash investigation of rear underrun crashes, including occupant injuries; the development of theoretical analysis of the forces acting on a barrier during an impact from a car; and the design, development and crash testing of an effective barrier. One aim of the project was to demonstrate that an effective, lightweight and inexpensive barrier can be fitted to the rear of trucks. These findings were compared with existing design standards for rear underrun barriers and significantly upgraded performance requirements were recommended to be adopted as a new standard for Australia.
|Technical Paper||An Approach to Developing Underride Guard Requirements for Improved Occupant Protection|
|Technical Paper||A Study of Heavy-Vehicle Underride Guards|
|Technical Paper||First Crash Test of the New Conceptual Pliers Underride Guard|
CitationRechnitzer, G., Scott, G., and Murray, N., "The Reduction of Injuries to Car Occupants in Rear End Impacts with Heavy Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 933123, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/933123.
- ADIV, A. ERVIN, R.D. 1989 Examination of features proposed for improving truck safety The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute UMTRI-89-2 Michigan The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute 66
- N.H.T.S.A. 1992 Federal motor vehicle safety standards, rear impact guards; rear impact protection
- MCLEAN, A.J. 1966 Engineering aspects of traffic accidents in Adelaide South Australia University of Adelaide
- HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES STANDING COMMITTEE ON ROAD SAFETY 1977 Report on Heavy vehicle safety Canberra Australian Government Publishing Service
- SIMONS, D.A GILLIES, N. 1977 Guards on trucks to prevent car under-ride New South Wales Traffic Accident Research Unit, Department of Motor Transport
- VICTORIAN PARLIAMENT SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMMIIITEE 1990 Report upon the Inquiry into Vehicle Occupant Protection Government Printer Melbourne, Australia
- RILEY, B.S. CHINN, B.P. BATE, H.J. 1981 An analysis of fatalities in heavy goods vehicle accidents TRRL Laboratory Report 1033 Berkshire Transport and Road Research Laboratory, Departmentof the Environment Department of Transport
- DANNER, M. LANGWIEDER, K. 1981 Results of an analysis of truck accidents and possibilities of reducing their consequences discussed on the basis of car-to-truck crash tests SAE 811027 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- RECHNITZER, G. WAI, FOONG CHEE 1991 Truck Involved Crash Study: Fatal and Injury Crashes of Cars into the Rear of Trucks Monash University Accident Research Centre Melbourne
- FILDES, B.N. LANE, J.C. LENARD, J. VULCAN, A.P. 1991 Passenger cars and occupant injury Monash University, Monash University Accident Research Centre
- APPLEBY, M.R. BISCHOFF, D.C. SIEGEL, A.W. NAHUM, A.M. 1970 Injuries in underride-override collisions - a clinical study Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc New York
- GLOYNS, P.F. RATTENBURY, S.J. 1989 Cars in conflict with larger vehicles - the problem of underrun SP782 SAE SAE
- DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATIONS 1988 Australian Design rules for Motor Vehicles and Trailers 3rd
- MURRAY, N.W. 1988 Study of car-truck impacts and the feasibility of fitting energy-absorbing guards to heavy trucks Monash University, Dept. of Civil Engineering
- BEERMAN, H.J. 1984 Behaviour of passenger cars on impact with under-ride guards Int. J. V. Des. 15 112
- LANGWIEDER, K. DANNER, M. 1987 Priorities in the active and passive safety of trucks Eleventh International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles (ESV) Washington May 1987
- UNITED NATIONS 1989 Regulation No. 58, Uniform provisions concerning the approval of (i) rear underrun protective devices ( RUPDs ) (ii) vehicles with regard to the installation of an RUPD of an approved type (iii) vehicles with regard to their rear undermn protection (RUP) E/ECE/324, E/ECE/TRANS/505 May
- TEBAY, S. 1978 Report on tractor trailer underride guard tests and procedures Washington Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Hydronautics, Incorporated, Technical Report 7626
- RECHNITZER, G. SCOTT, G. MURRAY, N.W. 1993 Design and testing of effective rear undermn bamers for heavy goods vehicles Inst. Engrs. Aust. Conference on Dynamic Loading in Manufacturing and Service Melbourne Feb