This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads with the Small Female Hybrid III Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
This study is an extension of previous work on driver air bag deployment loads which used the mid-size male Hybrid Ill dummy. Both small female and mid-size male Hybrid Ill dummies were tested with a range of near-positions relative to the air bag module. These alignments ranged from the head centered on the module to the chest centered on the module and with various separations and lateral shifts from the module. For both sized dummies the severity of the loading from the air bag depended on alignment and separation of the dummy with respect to the air bag module. No single alignment provided high responses for all body regions, indicating that one test at a typical alignment cannot simultaneously determine the potential for injury risk for the head, neck, and torso.
Based on comparisons with their respective injury assessment reference values, the risk of chest injury appeared similar for both sized dummies. The results suggest that the small female dummy has a greater risk of neck injury over a greater range of alignments in these exposures than does the mid-size male dummy and appears to be an important tool for assessment of neck injury risk in near-position air bag inflation tests. There are insufficient field accident data on near-position injuries to allow the results of this study to be extended to the present driving population. However, the occurrence of such injuries is expected to be infrequent.
CitationMelvin, J., Horsch, J., McCleary, J., Wideman, L. et al., "Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads with the Small Female Hybrid III Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 933119, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/933119.
- Horsch, J. Lau, I. Andrzejak, D. Viano, D. Melvin, J. Pearson, J. Cok, D. Miller, G. “Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads.” Proceedings of the 34th Stap Car Crash Conference 267 288 SAE Paper # 902324 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1990
- Horsch, J. Culver, C. “A Study of Driver Interactions with an Inflating Air Cushion.” Proceedings of the 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 797 823 SAE Paper # 791029 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1979
- Patrick, L. Nyquist, G. “Airbag Effects on the Out-of-Position Child.” SAE Paper # 720442 . 2nd International Conference on Passive Restraints Detroit May 22-25 1972 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1972
- Wu, H. Tang, S. Petrof, R. “Interaction Dynamics of an Inflating Air Bag and a Standing Child.” SAE Paper # 730604 , Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 14-18 1973 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1973
- Aldman, B. Anderson, A. Saxmark, O. “Possible Effects of Air Bag Inflation on a Standing Child.” Proceedings of the 18th Conference of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 15 29 Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Des Plaines, IL 1974
- Takeda, H. Kobayashi, S. “Injuries to Children from Airbag Deployment.” SAE Paper #806030, 8th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1980
- Mertz, H. Driscoll, G. Lenox, J. Nyquist, G. Weber, D. “Response of Animals Exposed to Deployment of Various Passenger Inflatable Restraint System Concepts for a Variety of Collision Severities and Animal Positions.” SAE Paper #826047, 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1982
- SAE Guidelines for Evaluating Out-of-Position Vehicle Occupant Interactions with Deploying Airbags SAE Information Report J1980 SAE Human Biomechanics and Simulation Standards Committee Warrendale, PA November 1990
- Mertz, H. “Restraint Performance of the 1973-76 GM Air Cushion Restraint System.” SAE Paper # 880400 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1988
- Lau, I. Viano, D. “The Viscous Criterion: Bases and Applications of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues.” Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference 123 142 SAE Paper # 861882 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1986
- Mertz, H. Irwin, A. Melvin, J. Stalnaker, R. Beebe, M. “Size, Weight and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummies.” SAE Paper # 890756 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1989
- Mertz, H. “Anthropomorphic Test Devices.” Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Prevention Nahum, A. Melvin, J. New York Springer-Verlag 1993
- Schneider, L. Robbins, D. Pflug, M. Snyder, R. Development of Anthropometrically Based Design Specifications for an Advanced Adult Anthropomorphic Dummy Family 1 Washington, D.C. 1983
- Zador, P.L. Ciccone, M.A. “Automobile Driver Fatalities in Frontal Impacts: Air Bags Compared with Manual Belts.” American Journal of Public Health 83 661 666 1993