This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of the NV 4500 Manual Transmission for Light and Medium Duty Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The NV 4500 manual transmission was designed to provide durability and versatility along with low shift efforts and quiet operation. This paper describes the process used to design and develop a transmission to meet specific system and durability requirements. The optimization of gears, bearings, and other components are discussed using Duty Cycles, Finite Element Analysis, and Design of Experiments. The shift and lubrication system designs are described as well as methods of noise reduction.
|Technical Paper||The Hydra-matic 290 A New Manual Transmission for General Motors light Duty Trucks|
|Technical Paper||Finite Elements Study Of Medium Truck.|
|Technical Paper||Finite Element Vibration Analysis Of Light Commercial Vehicles Driveshafts|
CitationAlaniz, C., Dolan, J., Hatton, R., Phelan, C. et al., "Design of the NV 4500 Manual Transmission for Light and Medium Duty Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 932919, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932919.
- Industry requirements for a new generation of automotive gear oils Norman, S. Kovitch, G. Klein, R. August 1989
- GM Service Technology Group Technical Service Reference Manual for the NV 4500 Transmission
- Lubricant Study for the 4500 Transmission Mohan, S. Internal NVG Report
- The GM 3500HD: Its Design and Development Hamman, K. SAE Paper 902242
- The NV 4500 Transmission Kuehm, D. Transmission Digest August 1991
- Component Inertial Effects on Transmission Design Seaman Johnson Hamilton SAE Paper 841686