This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinematic and Dynamic Comparisons of Double A-arm and McPherson Strut Suspension Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this investigation was to determine if the HVOSM accident simulation software could be used to model a vehicle with a modern McPherson strut type front (or rear) suspension system. HVOSM has previously been validated for simulation of double A-arm suspensions. To accomplish this task, kinematic models of both the McPherson strut and the double A-arm suspensions were evaluated using data from two vehicles with similar track width, wheel base and weight, but with the different suspension systems. The results of the study indicate the wheel track on a vehicle with a McPherson strut suspension system more closely follows the motions assumed in the development of the HVOSM models. Therefore, a user of HVOSM can utilize data from a vehicle with a McPherson strut suspension system and be confident the simulation is at least as accurate as if the vehicle had a double A-arm suspension.
CitationBeard, J. and Waggenspack, W., "Kinematic and Dynamic Comparisons of Double A-arm and McPherson Strut Suspension Systems," SAE Technical Paper 932913, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932913.
- Anderson, D.O. Guice L.K. “Traffic Accident Simulation Using Interactive Computer Graphics,” Final Report, LTRC Project 88-1SS 1991
- Segal, David J. “HVOSM Manual: Vol 4 - Validation,” NTIS Report FHWA-RD-76-165 1976
- Paul, Burton Kinematics and Dynamics of Planar Machinery Prentice Hall 1979
- Hall, A.S. “Notes on Mechanism Analysis,” Waveland Press 1981
- 1992 Society of Automotive Engineers Handbook 4 VEHICLE DYNAMICS TERMINOLOGY- SAE J670e, 34.242-34.251