This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a One-Zone Burn-Rate Analysis Procedure Using Production SI Engine Pressure Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A single-zone burn-rate analysis based on measured cylinder pressure data proposed by Gatowski et al. in 1984 was evaluated over the full load and speed range of a spark-ignition engine. The analysis, which determines the fuel mass burning rate based on the First Law of Thermodynamics, includes sub-models for the effects of residual fraction, heat transfer, and crevices. Each of these sub-models was assessed and calibrated. Cylinder pressure data over the full engine operating range obtained from two different engines were used to examine the robustness of the analysis. The sensitivity of predictions to the parameters wall temperature, heat transfer model coefficients and exponent, swirl ratio, motoring polytropic constant, in-cylinder mass, and to uncertainty in pressure data was evaluated. These tests showed the analysis to be relatively insensitive to sub-model parameters, and much more sensitive to errors in experimental inputs such as the initial mass and the cylinder pressure measurements.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Instantaneous Heat Fluxes in a Diesel Engine and Their Correlation|
|Technical Paper||Methods for Cylinder Pressure Based Compression Ratio Estimation|
|Technical Paper||Pressure Oscillations During Rapid HCCI Combustion|
CitationCheung, H. and Heywood, J., "Evaluation of a One-Zone Burn-Rate Analysis Procedure Using Production SI Engine Pressure Data," SAE Technical Paper 932749, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932749.
- Rassweiler, G. M. Withrow, L. “ Motion Pictures of Engine Flames Correlated with Pressure Cards ,” SAE paper 670931 1967
- Gatowski, J. A. Balles, E. N. Chun, K. M. Nelson, F. E. Ekchian, J. A. Heywood, J. B. “ Heat Release Analysis of Engine Pressure Data ,” SAE paper 841359 1984
- Chun, K. M. Heywood, J. B. “ Estimating Heat- Release and Mass-of-Mixture Burned from Spark-Ignition Engine Pressure Data ,” Combust. Sci. Technol. 54 133 144 1987
- Sztenderowicz, M. L. Heywood, J. B. “ Cycle-to-Cycle IMEP Fluctuations in a Stoichiometrically-Fueled S. I Engine at Low Speed and Load ,” SAE paper 902143 1990
- Woschni, G. “ Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine ,” SAE paper 670931 1967
- Fox, J. W. Cheng, W. K. Heywood, J. B. “ A Model for Predicting Residual Gas Fraction in Spark-Ignition Engines ,” SAE paper 931025 1993
- Poulos, S. G. Heywood, J. B. “ The Effect of Chamber Geometry on Spark-Ignition Engine ,” SAE paper 830587 1983
- Cheng, W.K. Hamrin, D. Heywood, J.B. Hochgreb, S. Min, K. Norris, M. ‘ An Overview of Hydrocarbon Emissions Mechanisms in Spark-Ignition Engines ,” 1993 SAE International Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exposition Oct. 18-21 1993 SAE paper 932708 1993
- Stein, R.A. Mencik, D.Z. Warren, C.C. “ Effect of Thermal Strain on Measurement of Cylinder Pressure ,” SAE paper 870455 1987
- Kuratle, R. H. Märki, B. “ Influencing Parameters and Error Sources During Indication on Internal Combustion Engines ,” SAE paper 920233 1992
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York 1988