This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Contour, Size and Cell Structure on Compressive Strength of Porous Cordierite Ceramic Substrates
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since their introduction to automotive industry in 1975, ceramic substrates have successfully met the strength requirements for canning, engine and chassis vibrations, and thermal shock. This paper will focus on canning loads and techniques, and how they influence the stress distribution in ceramic substrates. The strength data, most relevant to canning stresses, will be presented for porous cordierite ceramic substrates as function of their contour, size and cell structure. Recent improvements in measuring the biaxial compressive strength will also be reviewed.
CitationReddy, K. and Gulati, S., "Effect of Contour, Size and Cell Structure on Compressive Strength of Porous Cordierite Ceramic Substrates," SAE Technical Paper 932663, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/932663.
- Stroom R. D, Merry R. D. Gulati S. T. “Systems Approach to Packaging Design for Automotive Catalytic Converters,” SAE 900500 ‘90 SAE Int’l Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI February, 1990
- Gulati S. T. Chen D. K. S. “Isostatic Strength of Porous Cordierite Ceramic Monoliths,” SAE 910375 ‘91 SAE Int’l Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI February, 1991
- Gulati S. T. “New Developments in Catalytic Converter Durability,” CAPoC-2 Conference Brussels, Belgium September, 1990
- Gulati S. T. Ten Eyck, J. D. Lebold A. R. “Durable Packaging Design for Cordierite Ceramic Catalysts for Motorcycle Application,” SAE 930161 ‘93 SAE Int’l Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI March, 1993
- Gulati S. T. Pujari V. K. “Mechanical Integrity of Ceramic Monolithic Converters,” SAE 811324 ‘81 SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Detroit, MI October, 1981
- Gulati S. T. “Cell Design for Ceramic Monoliths for Catalytic Converter Application,” SAE 881685 ‘88 SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Portland, OR October, 1988
- Gulati S. T. Reddy K. P. “Measurement of Biaxial Compressive Strength of Cordierite Ceramic Honeycombs,” SAE 930165 ‘93 int’l Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI March, 1993
- Gulati S. T. Schneider G. “Mechanical Strength of Cellular Ceramic Substrates,” ENVICERAM ‘88 Cologne, W. Germany December, 1988
- Carborundum Expanding paper: Product Specifications; Form C-737-H September 1991
- Gulati S. T. “Long Term Durability of Ceramic Honeycombs for Automotive Emissions Control,” SAE 850130 ‘85 SAE Int’l Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI February, 1985