This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evolution of Passenger Car Emission in Germany - A Comparative Assessment of Two Forecast Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two models for the forecast of road traffic emissions, independently developed in parallel, are comparatively presented and assessed: EPROG developed by BMW and enlarged by VDA for a national application (Germany) and FOREMOVE, developed for application on European Community scale. The analysis of the methodological character of the two algorithms proves that the models are fundamentally similar with regard to the basic calculation schemes used for the emissions. The same holds true as far as the significant dependencies of the emission factors, and the recognition and incorporation of the fundamental framework referring to traffic important parameters (speeds, mileage and mileage distribution etc) are concerned.
The existing divergences are mainly classified into three groups: (a) differences in the baseline emission factor dependencies (b) differences in the basic statistical data of the past used (c) differences in the underlying assumptions in the development of the future scenarios, referring both to the expected evolution of traffic important parameters, as well as to the expected evolution of the emission factors of the individual vehicle categories. These result in emissions, which, although presenting similar general tendencies, are different with regard to the calculated levels.
Based on the above, it is concluded that a general model framework is already available, at least as far as road traffic emissions are concerned, that could be used either on national and/or international scale and which is sufficiently analytical with regard to internal split. More work needs to be done both on the identification of the parameters to be taken into account in the design of the scenarios and on the assumptions underlying emission forecasts.
CitationMetz, N., Korthas, H., and Samaras, Z., "Evolution of Passenger Car Emission in Germany - A Comparative Assessment of Two Forecast Models," SAE Technical Paper 931988, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931988.
- Gorissen, N. Developments in Air Pollution caused by Highway Traffic in the Federal Republic of Germany The Science of the Total Environment 93 1990 21 42 Elsevier
- Metz, N. Highway Emissions of Regulated and Some Unregulated Exhaust Components in West Germany from 1970 to 2010 The Science of the Total Environment 93 9 20
- Metz, N. 92 1990 176
- Eggleston, S. Gaudioso, D. Gorissen, N. Joumard, R. Rijkeboer, R. Samaras, Z. Zierock, K.--H. CORINAIR Working Group on Emission Factors for Calculating 1990 Emissions from Road Traffic Volume 1: Methodology and Emission Factors December 1991
- Samaras, Z. Zierock, K.H. Forecast of Emissions from Road Traffic in the European Communities Luxembourg 1992
- Metz, N. Emission Characteristics of Different Combustion Engines in the City, on Rural Roads and on Highways Intern. Symposium Transport and Air Pollution Avignon France September 1991
- Samaras, Z. Zafiris, D. Petheinos, D. Zierock, K.-H Forecast of Road Traffic Emissions in the European Community up to the year 2000 The Science of the Total Environment 134 1993 251 262
- Samaras, Z. Metz, N. Comparative assessment of two forecast models for road traffic emissions 5th. Intern. Symposium Highway Pollution Madrid Spain May 18-22 1992
- Samaras, Z. Zierock, K.-H. Assessment of the effect in EC Member States of the implementation of policy measures for CO 2 reduction in the transport sector Final report prepared for DGXI-B/4 Commission of the European Communities EC-Study contract B/91/4-3046/15367
- 1985 Bruxelles 1991
- Samaras, Z. Zierock, K.-H. Summary Report of the CORINAIR Working Group on Emission Factors for Calculating 1985 Emissions from Road Traffic Volume 3: Results of the Estimation Work Berlin 1989
- EUROSTAT: Transport - Annual Statistics 1970-1989 1989
- EUROSTAT: Environment Statistics 1991
- 1970 to 1993
- Berger R. März 1990
- Enderlein H. 1992 Sept. 1992
- Orf, M. Dossenheim 1993
- Korthals H. Metz N. Mai 1993