This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Exhaust Emissions of Hyundai Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently, flexible fuel vehicle (FFV) has been drawn great attention because of its response for immediate use as alternative fueled one. Hyundai FFV can be operated on arbitrary fuel mixtures between gasoline and M85 with the specially programmed electronic control unit (ECU) which can determine optimized fueling quantity and ignition timing as the methanol content by the signal from electrostatic type fuel sensor. In this paper, the results of various tests including engine performance, cold startability, durability and exhaust emission reduction have been described. Full load, cold mode durability tests and field trials have been carried out with some material changes and surface treatments in the lubricating parts and fuel system. But, more work on its durability improvement is still required. In view of exhaust emission reduction, aftertreatment system consisted of 4 k aged manifold type catalytic converter (MCC) and secondary air injection system has shown good emission reduction performance including formaldehyde emission at any methanol blends.
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Gasoline and Methanol Vehicle Emissions Using VOC Reactivity|
|Technical Paper||Improving Upon Best Available Technology: A Clean Flex Fuel Snowmobile|
|Technical Paper||DDC's Production 6V-92TA Methanol Bus Engine|
CitationLee, S., Kim, I., Kim, Y., and Park, S., "Performance and Exhaust Emissions of Hyundai Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV)," SAE Technical Paper 931986, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931986.
- Nishida Hiroto Yata Takahiro et al “Performance and Exhaust Emissions of Nissan FFV NX Coupe” SAE Paper No. 920299 1992
- Namba Muneyoshi Yokoyama Takaneo et al. “Development of Mitsubishi Flexible Fuel Vehicle” SAE Paper No. 910861 1991
- Myung Cha-Lee Lee Si-Hun Shin Young-Gy Park Kwang-Seo Park Sim-Soo Lee Hyun-Soon “Research and Development of Hyundai Flexible Fuel Vehicles (FFVs)” SAE Paper No. 930330 1993
- The Code of Federal Regulations “Emission Standards for Methanol-Fueled Motor Vehicles and Engines” EPA 40 CFR 1991
- CARB “Procedure for the Analysis of Automotive Exhaust for Formaldehyde and Other Carbonyl Compounds” SOP No. MLD 104 1989
- Myung C.L. Hwang S.S. Lee H.S. “Unburned Methanol and Formaldehyde Emission Measurements from Methanol-Flexible Fuel Vehicle(FFV)” VI IPC Paper No. 912557 1991
- Ichimiya T. Takahashi K. Fuwa Y. “Wear Mechanisms of Methanol Fueled Engines” SAE Paper No. 852199 1985
- Lee S.H. Shin Y.G. Hwang S.S. “Experimental Study of Cold Startability of Methanol(M85) Fueled Engine” KSAE 14-4 1992
- CARB “Title 13 - The Calculation and Use of Reactivity Adjustment Factors for Low Emission Vehicles” CARB Mail-But #91-43 1991