This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Further Development of Series Expanded Transfer Matrix Method for Structural Dynamic Analysis of Complex Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Structural dynamic analysis of an arbitrary structure such as vehicle structure can conveniently be carried out using finite element method or other numerically oriented approaches. Analytical approach is usually preferred due to its elegance and convenience for parametric studies; however the usefulness of such an approach is limited for a class of geometries or problem setting only.
Following the method which was originally proposed by Barboni, Gaudenzi, Mannini and Santini, the author and colleagues have rederived and modified the well known transfer matrix method by expanding the governing differential equations for the structural state vector into a power series, which is related to the eigenvalues of the dynamic eigenvalue problem. The work is motivated by the need for an efficient procedure which possesses the elegance of analytical method, but yet well applicable for arbritrary and complex structure. The procedure has been applied to basic bending and torsional oscillation of prismatic beams, and the results are compared to analytical solutions as well as those obtained using finite element method. Next the problem of structure with arbitrary geometry is analysed. For this purpose, the bending oscillation of non-prismatic beam has been considered. Previous formulation can readily be applied for piecewise continuous approximation to the structure. In the present work, further development related to complex structures, in particular as related to the presence of joints, are elaborated and novel results are presented.
CitationDjojodihardjo, H., Wahyuni, S., and Burhanidin, R., "Further Development of Series Expanded Transfer Matrix Method for Structural Dynamic Analysis of Complex Structures," SAE Technical Paper 931972, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931972.
- Barboni R. Gaudenzi P. Mannini A. Santini P. An Application to the Dynamics of Large Space Structures of a New Semi-Analytic Method for Structural Analysis 17th Congress, International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences Stockholm September 9-14, 1990
- Djojodihardjo H. Gunawan L. Development of Semi-Analytical Modified Transfer Matrix Method for Structural Dynamic Analysis (in Indonesian) Proc. Symposium on Science and Technology in Aeronautical Engineering (SITRA 91) Bandung March 1991
- Djojodihardjo H. Gunawan L. Development and Application of Semi-Analytically Modified Transfer Matrix Method for Structural Dynamic Analysis of Arbitrary Structure Proc. Fifth International Pacific Conference, Society of Automotive Engineers Seoul, Korea November 1991
- Pestel E.C. Leckie F.A. Matrix Methods in Elasto Mechanics McGraw Hill New York 1963
- Thomson William T. Theory of Vibration with Application Prentice Hall of India 1982
- Meirovitch L. Elements of Vibrational Analysis McGraw Hill 1975