This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sound Quality Evaluation of Passenger Vehicle Interior Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Objective measures to evaluate sound quality are important for proper sound design and noise improvement. In this paper, the objective measures of interior noise of passenger vehicle, which is operated at constant engine revolution speed, are discussed. Subjective evaluation test of the interior noise was done using the semantic differential method. By applying factor analysts to the subjective evaluation scores, three important factors of the sound quality were extracted, i.e. comfortable, powerful and booming factors. Each factor was correlated with various physical values, for example octave band levels. Furthermore, the data is analyzed by multiple linear regression analysis with stepwise variable selection, of the each factor scores against the various physical values. Finally, an objective measure to evaluate each of these factors was conducted using the combination of simple physical values. Each of these measures was good correlation with each of the subjective evaluations.
CitationMurata, H., Tanaka, H., Takada, H., and Ohsasa, Y., "Sound Quality Evaluation of Passenger Vehicle Interior Noise," SAE Technical Paper 931347, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931347.
- Fish D G Vehicle noise quality - towards improving the correlation of objective measurements with subjective ratings I.Mech.E C389/468 1992
- Russell M F Sekowski M Nikokiroulis N Subjective assessment of diesel vehicle noise I.Mech.E C389/044 1992
- Takao Hideo Hatano Shigeko Hashimoto Takeo Improvement of sound qualities using simulated car interior noise - Part1 roughness by magnitude estimation JSAE 46 1990
- Takao Hideo Hatano Shigeko Hashimoto Takeo Relation between unpleasantness of artificial amplitude-modulated and real car interior noise and roughness level - Modulation frequency range causing maximum unpleasantness JSAE Paper 91113 1991
- von Bismarck G Timbers of steady sounds: A factorial investigation of its verbal attributes ACOUSTICA 30 1974
- Takao Hideo Hashimoto Takeo Subjective evaluation of passenger vehicle interior noise - Part1 selection of pairs of opposite attributes to evaluate sound quality by using semantic differential method JSAE Paper 882117 1988
- Hashimoto Takeo Takao Hideo Improvement of sound qualities using simulated car interior noise - Part2 estimation by semantic differential JSAE 46 1990