This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wind Noise and Aerodynamic Drag Optimization of Outside Rear View Mirrors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive outside rear view mirror shape has become an important consideration in achieving wind noise and aerodynamic performance objectives. This paper describes a two step process used to develop a mirror shape which meets both wind noise and aerodynamic objectives. First, basic understanding of door mounted verses sail mounted mirrors and shape parameters was obtained by evaluating selected shapes and studying their physical measurements relative to their measured responses. Relationships between the wind noise and drag responses revealed performance range limitations for sail mounted mirrors. Second, a central composite experimental design was utilized to more closely investigate door mounted mirror shape parameters to determine optimal mirror performance potential. The resulting empirical models developed were used to determine the best overall solution.
CitationEhlert, G., Chapman, R., and Thomas, R., "Wind Noise and Aerodynamic Drag Optimization of Outside Rear View Mirrors," SAE Technical Paper 931292, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931292.
- George Albert R. “Automobile Aerodynamic Noise,” SAE Paper 900315 1990
- Emmons Howard W. Budiansky Bernard Fluid Dynamics Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc. Reading, MA 1966 138
- Box G.E.P Hunter W.G. Hunter J.S. Statistics for Experimenters John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York City 1978
- Box G.E.P. Draper H.R. Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York City 1987 510 513
- Derringer George Suich R. “Simultaneous Optimization of Several Response Variables,” Journal of Quality Technology 12 4 1980
- Wilkinson Leland SYSTAT: The System for Statistics SYSTAT, Inc. Evanston, IL 1990
- Aachen Head HEAD acoustics GmbH Kaiser Straβe 100, D-5120 Herzogenrath 3, Federal Republic of Germany