This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis and Performance Improvement of a Single Cylinder Direct Injection Turbocharged Low Heat Rejection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A set of experiments were conducted to evaluate the performance differences between a Low Heat Rejection Engine (LHRE) which is ceramic-insulated and a conventional baseline metal diesel engine which is water-cooled. Both engines were single cylinder, direct injection, and turbocharged. The objective of the study was to investigate the rate of heat release of these engines so that performance improvement procedures could be obtained. In this paper, the difference of the ignition delay between the two engines was determined. Two methods for improving the combustion process of the LHRE were studied: use of mixture fuels and increase the fuel injection rate. Both methods proved effective and reduced the fuel consumption rate of the LHRE.
CitationSun, X., Wang, W., Lyons, D., and Gao, X., "Experimental Analysis and Performance Improvement of a Single Cylinder Direct Injection Turbocharged Low Heat Rejection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 930989, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930989.
- Sun, Xiaobo, “Measurement of Cylinder Pressure and Calculation of Heat Release Rate of Turbocharged Low Heat Rejection Engines,” MS Thesis, WUWTE, 1991.
- Taylor, F. Charles, The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and practice, Volume 2, Halliday Lithograph Corp., 1968.
- Woschni, G., Spindler, W. and Kolesa K., “Heat Insulation of Combustion Chamber Walls--A PyMeasure to Decrease the Fuel Consumption of I.C. Engine ?,” SAE 870339, 1987.
- Zhang, N. L., Zhong, S. Y., Feng J. T., Cai J. W., Pu Q. N., and Fan Y., “Development of Model 6105 Adiabatic Engine,” SAE Paper, 1993 SAE International Congress & Exposition, March 1-5, 1993, Detroit, Michigan.
- Cheng, W. K., Wong, V. W. and Gao, F., “Heat Transfer Measurement Comparison in Insulated and Non-Insulated Diesel Engines,” SAE 890570, 1989.
- Morel, T., Wahiduzzaman, S., and Fort, E. F., “LHR Engine Design Analysis Methodology--Heat Transfer Measurements in an Insulated Diesel,” SAE 880186, 1988.
- Havstard, P. H., Gervin, I. J., and Wade, W. R., “A Ceramic Insert Uncooled Diesel Engine,” SAE 860447, 1986.
- Miyairi, Y., Matsuhisa, T., Ozawa, T., Oikawa, H., and Nakashima, N., “Selective Heat Insulation of Combustion Chamber Wall, for a DI Diesel Engine with Monolithic Ceramics,” SAE 890141, 1989.
- Moore, C., and Hoehne, J., “Combustion Chamber Insulation Effect on the Performance of a Low Heat Rejection Commins V-903 Engine,”, SAE 860313, 1986.
- Lipkea W.H. and Dejode A.D., “A Model of a Direct Injection Combustion System for use in Cycle Simulation and Optimization Studies,” SAE 870573, 1987.
- Assanis D., and Heywood J., “Development and Use of a Computer Simulation of the Turbocompounded Diesel System for Engine Performance and Component Heat Transfer Studies,” SAE 860329.
- Reday C. S., Domingo N. and Graves R. L., “Low Heat Rejection Engine Research Status: Where Do We Go from here ?,” SAE 900620, 1990.
- Woschni G. and Anisitis F., “Experimental Investigation and Mathematical Presentation of Rate of Heat Release in Diesel Engines, Dependent upon Engine Operating Condition,” SAE 740086, 1974.
- Annand, W. D., “Heat Transfer in the Cylinder of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines,” Proc. 1 MechE, Volume 177, No. 36, 1963.
- A Review of the State of the Art and Projected Technology of Low Heat Rejection Engines, A report prepared by the Committee on Adiabatic Diesel Technology, Energy Engineering Committee, and Commission on Engineering and Technical Systems, National Research Council, National Academy Press, Washington D. C., 1987.
- Churchill R., Smith L, Clark N., and Turton R., “Low- -Heat Rejection Engines--A concept Review,” SAE 880014, 1984.
- Morel, T., Fort, E. F. and Blumberg, P. N., “Effect of Insulation Strategy and Design Parameters on Diesel Engine Heat Rejection and Performance,” SAE 850506, 1985.
- Miyairi, Y., “Computer Simulation of an LHR DI Diesel Engine,” SAE 880187, 1987.
- Hoag, K. L., Brando, M. C. and Bryzik, W., “Cummins/TACOM Adiabatic Engine Program,” SAE 850356, 1985.