This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Investigation to Optimise the Performance of a Supercharged Two-Stroke Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper details an investigation of the output performance of an externally scavenged, single cylinder, two-stroke cycle engine. The engine was of the loop scavenged type with scavenge air supplied by a crankshaft driven supercharger.
The main emphasis was to investigate the effects of exhaust and transfer port timings and also to evaluate the effectiveness of different supercharger drive ratios.
The engine was run using two different fuel systems; one being a high pressure liquid system injecting directly into the cylinder head and the other being a low pressure liquid system injecting into the intake system. Provision was provided for four different timing edges for both exhaust and transfer ports. In each configuration the engine was performance tested over a range of operating conditions while the fuel efficiency, brake specific emissions and air flow characteristics were recorded.
CitationConlon, P. and Fleck, R., "An Experimental Investigation to Optimise the Performance of a Supercharged Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 930982, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930982.
- Tsuchiya, K., Okamuro, M. and Gotoh, T. “Emissions control of two-stroke motor cycle engines by the butterfly exhaust valve”, SAE Paper No. 800973, 1980.
- Nomura, K., Hirano, S., Gotoh, T., and Motoyana, Y. “Improvement of fuel consumption with variable exhaust port timing in a two-stroke gasoline engine”, SAE Paper No. 850183, 1985.
- Duret, P., and Moreau, J. “Reduction of pollutant emissions of the IAPAC two-stroke engine with air assisted fuel injection”, SAE Paper No. 900801, 1990.
- Schlunke, K “Der Orbital verbrennungs prozess des 2-takt-motors”, 10th internationales, Wiener, Motoren symposium, pp. 63-78, Vereins Deuthsher Ingenieure. Publication No. 122, April 1989.
- Sher, E., Hacohen, Y., Refael, S., and Harari, R. “Minimizing short-circuiting losses in 2-S engines by throttling the exhaust pipe”, SAE Paper No. 901665, 1990.
- “Test procedure for the measurement of exhaust emissions from marine engines”, ICOMIA standard 34-88, 1988.
- “Marine duty cycle”, ICOMIA standard 34-88, 1988.
- Morgan, E.J. and Lincoln, R.H. “Duty cycle for recreational marine engines”, SAE Paper No, 901596, 1990.
- Coates, S.W. and Lassanske, G.G. “Measurement and analysis of gaseous exhaust emissions from recreational and small commercial marine craft”, SAE Paper No. 901596, 1990.