This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low-Cost Spark Plug-Integrated Fiber Optic Sensor for Combustion Pressure Monitoring
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fiber optic in-cylinder combustion pressure sensor system design is presented that exhibits the necessary operation and cost characteristics required for combustion pressure-based engine control applications. The sensor system consists of a small, spark plug-integrated, rugged, and high temperature operable sensor head; a low cost optoelectronic transceiver including LEDs, photodiodes, and simple optical couplers; and a DSP-based signal processing circuitry intended for future ASIC integration. A theoretical approach is developed to predict sensor response and signal-to-noise performance. The agreement between theoretical analysis and experimental results demonstrates that the present low cost system design results in required signal-to-noise performance and provides pressure measurement accuracies better than 5%. Engine tests performed with the fiber optic sensors demonstrate signal-to-noise performance comparable to instrumentation grade piezoelectric combustion pressure transducers as well as better temperature stability. The fiber optic pressure sensor can readily detect engine misfire and mis-timing of spark advance.
- Gang He - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Andy Patania - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Mike Kluzner - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Dan Vokovich - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Victor Astrakhan - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Tom Wall - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Marek Wlodarczyk - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
CitationHe, G., Patania, A., Kluzner, M., Vokovich, D. et al., "Low-Cost Spark Plug-Integrated Fiber Optic Sensor for Combustion Pressure Monitoring," SAE Technical Paper 930853, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930853.
- Gassenfeit E. H. Powell J. D. “Algorithms for air-fuel ratio estimation using internal combustion engine cylinder pressure,” SAE paper no . 890300 , presented at the 1989 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI February 1989
- Rizzoni G. “Diagnosis of individual cylinder misfires by signature analysis of crankshaft speed fluctuations,” SAE paper no . 890884 , presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI February 1989
- Sawamoto K. Kawamura Y. Kita T. Matsushita K. “Individual cylinder knock control by detecting cylinder pressure,” SAE paper no . 871911 , presented at the 1987 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI February 1987
- Anastasia C. Pestana G.W. “A cylinder pressure sensor for closed loop engine control,” SAE paper no . 870288 , presented at the 1987 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI February 1987
- Giallorenzi T. Bucaro J. Dandridge A. Cole J. Rashleigh S. Priest R. “Optical fiber sensor technology,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron 18 625 665 1982
- Sasayama T. Oho S. Kuroiwa H. Suzuki S. “Recent developments of fiber optic sensors for automotive use,” Proc. SPIE 840 1987
- Wlodarczyk M.T. Vokovich D. Astrakhan V. Kluzner M. Ulrich O. “Fiber optic pressure sensor for combustion pressure monitoring,” Proc. SPIE 1587 1991
- He G. Wlodarczyk M. T. “High temperature performance analysis of automotive combustion pressure sensor,” Proc. SPIE 1799 1992
- He G. Cuomo F.W. “Displacement response, detection limit, and dynamic range of fiber optic lever sensors,” J. Lightwave Technol 9 1618 1625 1991
- He G. Cuomo F.W. “A light intensity function suitable for multimode fiber optic sensors,” J. Lightwave Technol 9 545 551 1991
- Kinsler L.E. Frey A.R. Coppens A.B. Sanders J.V. Fundamentals of Acoustics John Wiley & Sons New York 1982
- He G. Cuomo F.W. “Analysis of noises in a fiber optic microphone,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. , to appear in Nov. issue 1992
- Yariv A. Optical Electronics , Holt, Reinhart, and Winston New York 1985
- Boyer H. E. Gall T. L. Metals Handbook, Desk Edition , American Soc. For Metals Metal Park, Ohio 1986