This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low-Cost Spark Plug-Integrated Fiber Optic Sensor for Combustion Pressure Monitoring
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fiber optic in-cylinder combustion pressure sensor system design is presented that exhibits the necessary operation and cost characteristics required for combustion pressure-based engine control applications. The sensor system consists of a small, spark plug-integrated, rugged, and high temperature operable sensor head; a low cost optoelectronic transceiver including LEDs, photodiodes, and simple optical couplers; and a DSP-based signal processing circuitry intended for future ASIC integration. A theoretical approach is developed to predict sensor response and signal-to-noise performance. The agreement between theoretical analysis and experimental results demonstrates that the present low cost system design results in required signal-to-noise performance and provides pressure measurement accuracies better than 5%. Engine tests performed with the fiber optic sensors demonstrate signal-to-noise performance comparable to instrumentation grade piezoelectric combustion pressure transducers as well as better temperature stability. The fiber optic pressure sensor can readily detect engine misfire and mis-timing of spark advance.
- Gang He - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Andy Patania - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Mike Kluzner - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Dan Vokovich - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Victor Astrakhan - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Tom Wall - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
- Marek Wlodarczyk - FiberOptic Sensor Technologies, Inc.
CitationHe, G., Patania, A., Kluzner, M., Vokovich, D. et al., "Low-Cost Spark Plug-Integrated Fiber Optic Sensor for Combustion Pressure Monitoring," SAE Technical Paper 930853, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930853.
- GassenfeitE. H. and PowellJ. D., “Algorithms for air-fuel ratio estimation using internal combustion engine cylinder pressure,” SAE paper no. 890300, presented at the 1989 SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, February, 1989.
- RizzoniG., “Diagnosis of individual cylinder misfires by signature analysis of crankshaft speed fluctuations,” SAE paper no. 890884, presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, February, 1989.
- SawamotoK., KawamuraY., KitaT. and MatsushitaK., “Individual cylinder knock control by detecting cylinder pressure,” SAE paper no. 871911, presented at the 1987 SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, February, 1987.
- AnastasiaC. and PestanaG.W., “A cylinder pressure sensor for closed loop engine control,” SAE paper no. 870288, presented at the 1987 SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, February, 1987.
- GiallorenziT., BucaroJ., DandridgeA., ColeJ., RashleighS., and PriestR., “Optical fiber sensor technology,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. QE-18, pp 625-665, 1982.
- SasayamaT., OhoS., KuroiwaH., and SuzukiS., “Recent developments of fiber optic sensors for automotive use,” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 840, 1987.
- WlodarczykM.T., VokovichD., AstrakhanV., KluznerM., and UlrichO., “Fiber optic pressure sensor for combustion pressure monitoring,” Proc. SPIE, Vol 1587, 1991.
- HeG. and WlodarczykM. T., “High temperature performance analysis of automotive combustion pressure sensor,” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 1799, 1992.
- HeG. and CuomoF.W., “Displacement response, detection limit, and dynamic range of fiber optic lever sensors,” J. Lightwave Technol. Vol. 9, pp1618-1625, 1991.
- HeG. and CuomoF.W., “A light intensity function suitable for multimode fiber optic sensors,” J. Lightwave Technol. Vol. 9, pp545-551, 1991.
- KinslerL.E., FreyA.R., CoppensA.B., and SandersJ.V., Fundamentals of Acoustics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1982.
- HeG. and CuomoF.W., “Analysis of noises in a fiber optic microphone,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., to appear in Nov. issue, 1992.
- YarivA., Optical Electronics, Holt, Reinhart, and Winston, New York, 1985.
- BoyerH. E. and GallT. L., Metals Handbook, Desk Edition, American Soc. For Metals, Metal Park, Ohio, 1986.