This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Asymmetric Valve Strategies and Their Effect on Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to reduce the development time involved in optimising the combustion system and valve timing of the internal combustion engine, an electro-hydraulic valve actuation system has been developed. The effects of various combustion strategies, including asymmetrical valve events, on emissions and efficiency, together with their sensitivity to EGR and AFR were investigated. In addition, the influence of the cylinder head design on in-cylinder charge motion and combustion was investigated by correlating airflow, tumble and swirl data to the heat release data obtained during dynamometer testing.
CitationWilson, N., Watkins, A., and Dopson, C., "Asymmetric Valve Strategies and Their Effect on Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 930821, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930821.
- Emissions Optimisation by Camshaft Profile Switching SAE 910838 Dopson Drake
- The Development and Application of Two Cam Profile Switching Systems IMechE 5990 Alien Dopson
- Future Valve Train Systems to Reduce Engine Performance Compromises IMechE C289/120 (SAE 925102) Wilson Dopson Muddell
- Lotus Active Valve Train Research. Lotus Report 1794/92. Wilson Dopson Muddell
- The Attributes of Fast Burning Rates in Engines. SAE 800920 Mattavi
- Influence of Swirl and Tumble on Economy and Emissions of Multi-valve SI Engines. SAE 920516 Endres Neußer Wurms
- Diesel Engine Reference Book LRC Lilley
- Optimisation of Combustion Chamber Design. IMechE C382/030 Chapman, Draper, Fairhead & Wallace
- Influence of Induction Swirl and Piston Configuration on Airflow in a 4 Stroke Model Engine. IMechE, 198 8 Vafidis
- A Study of the Correlation Between In-Cylinder Air Motion and Combustion in Gasoline Engines C55/88. Kyriakides Glover
- Development of Low Emission High Performance 4 Valve Engines. SAE 900227 . Mikulic Quissek
- Fast Response FID Measurement of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust port of a firing gasoline engine. SAE 902165 Boam Finla et al.
- Intake Generated Swirl and Tumble Motions ina 4 Valve Engine with Various Intake Configurations. SAE 900059 . Khalighi
- Observations on the Effect of Intake Generated Swirl & Tumble SAE 892096 Kent Rimal Mikulec et al.
- The Development of a High Fuel Economy and performance 4 valve Lean Burn Engine. SAE 920455 Nishizawa Horie et al.
- Effect of intake port flow pattern on the in-cylinder tumbling airflow in multi-valve SI engines SAE 910477 Iwachido Omori et al.
- A new standard for Barrel Swirl measurement I mech E c427/18/156 Chapman, Garret Warburtoan.
- Effects of exhaust Gas recirculation on fuel consumption ImechE 195 30 Sugihara Nakajima et al.