This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Metallurgical Stability of Articulated Piston Under Severe Engine Operating Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper analyzes the surface metallurgical transformation (such as oxidation, sulfidation and decarburization) and/or bulk metallurgical transformation (such as overtempering of tempered martensite structure, spheroidization or graphitization of carbides) which may occur during articulated piston operation in high loaded diesel engines.
The evaluations performed on pistons that operated on high loaded engines (field and dyno) indicate that no bulk metallurgical transformation occurs on the SAE 4140 steel for temperatures up to 550 °C and that the only surface metallurgical transformation observed is the oxidation. This oxidation layer, at the levels observed on the analysed pistons, has no detrimental strucutural influence.
CitationJosé, M. and José, A., "Metallurgical Stability of Articulated Piston Under Severe Engine Operating Condition," SAE Technical Paper 930719, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930719.
- Kriegler W. et alli “Strategies to Meet Worldwide Heavy Duty Diesel Emission Standards” IMechE Seminar Series 12-14 Feb. 1991 London
- High Strenght Structural and High Strenght Low-Alloy Steels” ASM Metals Handbook 10th 1 383 423
- Wisti Michael et alli “Tempering of Steels” ASM Metals Handbook 10th 4 121 136
- Reed-Hill R. “Physical Metallurgy Principles” 1964 D.Van Nostrand Company, Inc.
- Philip T. “Ultrahigh Strength Steels” ASM Metals Handbook 9th 1 421 423
- Focke A. “Elevated Temperature Properties of Constructional Steels” ASM Metals Handbook 9th 1 639 663
- “SAE 4340 Steel” Battelle's Structural Alloys Handbook 1 79
- “Elevated-Temperature Properties of Ferritic Steels” ASM Metals Handbook 10th 1 617 652
- Holloman J. Jaffe L. “Time-Temperature Relations in Tempering Steels” Trans.AIME 162 1945 223 249
- Rozenberg Leonard “Cleaning and Finishing” ASM Metals Handbook 9th 5 563 568
- “Fatigue Failures” ASM Metals Handbook 8th 10 95 125
- “Closed-Die Forgings” ASM Metals Handbook 9th 1 349 375