This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of a Metal Pushing V-Belt Type CVT-Part 1: Relation Between Transmitted Torque and Pulley Thrust
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Transmitted torque, thrusts of driving and driven pulleys, and axial force between two pulleys were measured on a metal pushing V-belt type CVT. Thrust ratios between driving and driven pulleys at several different speed ratios were plotted with respect to torque ratio and compared with each other. It was found that the relation between thrust ratio and speed ratio was almost independent of rotational speed of the pulley and the maximum transmittable torque at a constant torque ratio. The thrust ratio is primarily a function of speed ratio. It also depends on torque ratio and coefficient of friction between blocks and a pulley. An empirical equation for pulley thrust balance was derived. The equation is expressed in an explicit form. It is so simple that it can be applicable for electronic control of CVT.
CitationFujii, T., Kurokawa, T., and Kanehara, S., "A Study of a Metal Pushing V-Belt Type CVT-Part 1: Relation Between Transmitted Torque and Pulley Thrust," SAE Technical Paper 930666, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930666.
- Hendriks E. ter Heegd P. van Prooijen T. Aspects of a metal Pushing V-Belt for Automotive Cut Application. SAE Tech. Paper Series 881734 ( 1988
- Kim H Lee J. Analysis of belt behavior and slip characteristics for a metal V-belt CVT MPT'91 Proc. of JSME Int. Conf. on Motion and Powertransmission (1991) pp 394 399
- Worley W. S. Designing Adjustable-Speed V-Belt Drives for Farm Implements SAE Trans., 63 ( 1955 321 323
- Gerbert B. G. Force and Slip Behavior in V-Belt Drives Acta Polythechnia Scandinavica, Mech. Eng. Series No.67 ( 1972
- Stieg R. F. Spencer W. S. A Rubber Belt CVT for Front-Wheel-Drive Cars SAE Tech. Paper Series 820746 1982
- Fujii T. et al. Study on Forces transmitting between Pulleys and Blocks of a Block-type CVT belt SAE Tech. Paper Series 921746 1992
- Katuya K. et al. Analysis of Behavior of CVT Belts Proc. of JSAE 891041 1989 171 174
- Miloiu G. Die DrucKKraft in stufenlosen Getrieben II Antriebstechnik, 13, 1 1969 450 467