This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Intake Valve Flow Measurements of an IC Engine Using Particle Image Velocimetry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The instantaneous two dimensional velocity fields around the intake valve of an internal combustion engine were experimentally investigated by means of particle image velocimetry. The measurements were taken in a plane perpendicular to a cylinder head near the intake valve in a simulated engine setup using a diesel engine cylinder head and an acrylic cylinder with glass optical windows. The intake valves were actuated by a motor driven cam. The measurements at various cam rotating speeds and valve lifts were made to investigate the unsteady effects of the intake valve flow. For comparison of dynamic and static valve flows, measurements with stationary valves were also conducted.
The instantaneous two dimensional flow fields showed a well organized intake jet, and entrainment of the ambient air into the jet. For the same valve lift and pressure drop across the intake valves, the static valve flow showed higher jet velocity than the dynamic intake valve flow. The dynamic intake valve flow showed noticeable cyclic variation in detailed flow patterns, but the overall flow pattern and main jet behaved repeatably in separate flow samples.
CitationLee, J. and Farrell, P., "Intake Valve Flow Measurements of an IC Engine Using Particle Image Velocimetry," SAE Technical Paper 930480, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930480.
SAE 1993 Transactions: Journal of Engines
Number: V102-3; Published: 1994-09-01
Number: V102-3; Published: 1994-09-01
- Arcoumanis C. Whitelaw J. H. “Fluid Mechanics of Internal Combustion Engines - a Review,” Inst. of Mechanical Engineer . Vol. 201 57 74 1987
- Heywood J. B. “Fluid Motion within the Cylinder of Internal Combustion Engines - The 1986 Freeman Scholar Lecture,” ASME, J. of Fluid Engineering Vol 109 3 35 1987
- Mikulec A. Kent J. C. Tabaczynski R. J. “The Effect of Swirl on Combustion in a Pancake Chamber Spark Ignition Engine: The Case of Constant Inducted Kinetic Energy,” SAE Paper 880200 1988
- Arcoumanis C. Hu Z. Vafidis C. Whitelaw J. H. “Tumbling Motion : A Mechanism for Turbulence Enhancement in Spark-ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 900060 1990
- Gosman A. D. Tsui Y. Y. Vafidis C. “Flow in a Model Engine with a Shrouded Valve - A Combined Experimental and Computational Study,” SAE Paper 850498 1985
- Glover A. R. Hundleby G. E. Hadded O. “An Investigation into Turbulence in Engines using Scanning LDA,” SAE Paper 880378 1988
- Khalighi B. El Tahry S. H. Kuziak W. R. “Measured Steady Flow Velocity Distributions around a Valve/Seat Annulus,” SAE Paper 860462 1986
- Cheung R. W. S. Nadarajah S. Tindal M. J. Yianneskis M. “An Experimental Study of Velocity and Reynolds Stress Distribution in a Production Engine Inlet Port under Steady Flow Conditions,” SAE Paper 900058 1990
- Coghe A. Brunello G. E. Tassi “Effects of Intake Ports on the In-Cylinder Air Motion under Steady Flow Conditions,” SAE Paper 880384 1988
- Bicen A. F. Vafidis C. Whitelaw J. H. “Steady and Unsteady Air Flow through the Intake Valve of a Reciprocating Engine,” ASME, J. of Fluid Engineering Vol 107 413 420 1985
- Zhu Yuanxian Evers D. Huigen G. Hommersom G. “LDA Measurements of Steady and Unsteady Flow Through the Induction System of a Heavy Duty Diesel engine,” SAE Paper 901576 1990
- El Tahry S. H. Khalighi B. Kuziak W. R. “Unsteady Flow Velocity Measurements around an Intake Valve of a Reciprocating Engine,” SAE Paper 870593 1987
- Adrian R. J. “Multi-point Optical Measurement of Simultaneous Vectors in Unsteady Flow - a review,” ht J. Heat and Fluid Flow 17 127 145 1986
- Adrian R. J. “Particle-imaging techniques for experimental fluid mechanics,” Annual Reviews in Fluid Mechanics Vol 23 261 1991
- Reuss D. L. Adrian R. J. Landreth C. C. French D. T. Fansler T. D. “Instantaneous Planar Measurements of Velocity and Large-Scale Vorticity and Strain Rate in an Engine Using Particle-Image Velocimetry,” SAE paper 890616 1989
- Pickering C.D.J. Halliwell N. A. “Laser Speckle Photography and Particle Image Velocimetry: Photographic Film Noise,” Applied Optics Vol 23 17 2961 2969 1984
- Pickering C. J. D. Halliwell N. A. “Particle Image Velocimetry: Improving Fringe Signal-to-Noise Ratio with a Two-Step Photographic Process,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. 2 4 610 615 1985
- Farrell P. V. Goetsch D. “Optical analysis of particle image velocimetry data,” L.I.A. 68 82 91 1989
- Lee J. “Intake Valve Flows in an Internal combustion Engine,” Ph.D. Theses University of Wisconsin-Madison 1992
- Fukutani I. Watanabe E. “Air Flow throughPoppet Inlet Valves - Analysis of Static and Dynamic Flow Coefficients,” SAE Paper 820154 1982