This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurements in the Unsteady Near Wakes of Ground Vehicle Bodies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of rear splitter plates and base cavities on the near wake behind a ground vehicle body above a moving ground plane were studied. Static pressure taps on the base of the body were used to measure both the mean and fluctuating pressures acting on the model base. Hot wire anemometry and flow visualization were used to study the effect of splitter plates and cavities on the near wake velocity field. The effects of varying ground clearance and of the moving ground on the base pressure were also studied.
It was determined that some splitter plate configurations affect the base pressure distribution by forming a low pressure vortex on one side of the plate with high pressure fluctuations and altering the flow on the opposite side of the plate to raise the mean pressure. The suction region could be eliminated by moving the splitter plate to the model edge to form a side of a cavity. A full four sided cavity was able to increase the overall base pressure by 11% on the model. The velocity fluctuations in the near wake decreased up to 50% with the use of a cavity. The base pressure distribution is not significantly affected by ground clearance if a moving ground plane is employed. These experiments indicate that the aerodynamic drag of bluff bodies is related to unsteady effects in the near wake.
CitationDuell, E. and George, A., "Measurements in the Unsteady Near Wakes of Ground Vehicle Bodies," SAE Technical Paper 930298, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930298.
- Han, T. “Computational Analysis of Three-Dimensional Turbulent Flow Around a Bluff Body in Ground Proximity,” AIAA Journal 27 9 1213 1219 Sept. 1989
- Ahmed, S.R. “Wake Structure of Typical Automobile Shapes,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering 103 162 169 Mar. 1981
- Bearman, P.W. Davis, J.P. Harvey, J.K. “Measurement of the Structure of Road Vehicle Wakes” International Journal of Vehicle Design , Technological Advances in Vehicle Design Series, SP3, Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design 493 499 1983
- Cogotti, A. “Flow-Field Surveys Behind Three Squareback Car Models Using a New ‘Fourteen-Hole’ Probe” SAE Paper 870243 1987
- Nouzawa, T. Hiasa, K. Nakamura, T. Kawamoto, A. Sato, H. “Unsteady-Wake Analysis of the Aerodynamic Drag of a Notchback Model with Critical Afterbody Geometry” SAE Paper 920202 1992
- Mansingh, V. Oosthuizen, P.H. “Effects of Splitter Plates on the Wake Flow Behind a Bluff Body” AIAA Journal May 1990 778 783
- Mason, W.T. Beebe, P.S. “The Drag Related Flow Field Characteristics of Trucks and Buses” Proceedings of the Symposium on Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles Sovaran, G. 1976
- Duell, E.G. George, A.R. “Unsteady Wakes of Three Dimensional Bodies” IUTAM Symposium on Bluff Bodies, Wakes, and Instabilities Goettingen, Germany Sept. 1992
- Ahmed, S.R. Ramm, G. Faltin, G. “Some Salient Features of the Time Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake” SAE Paper 840300 1984
- Duell, E.G. George, A.R. “Unsteady Near Wake Flows of Ground Vehicle Bodies” AIAA Paper 92-2641, AIAA 10th Applied Aerodynamics Conference June 1992
- Hucho, W.H. Emmelmann, H.-J. 31 1977