This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Airflow Measurement Around Passenger Car Models Using a Two-Channel Laser Doppler Velocimeter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A two-channel LDV system is used to obtain accurate airflow measurements around scale models of passenger cars in wind tunnel tests at the Nissan Research Center. A 2-watt argon-ion laser is employed as the light source. The main optical unit and probe head are connected by optical fibers. The probe head consists of a compact LDV probe with a beam expander and focusing lens with a long focal length can be easily traversed. A new type of signal processor, performing a digital autocorrelation function, is employed to process the Doppler signals. Mean airflow velocities and turbulence intensities are calculated by a micro computer to evaluate the flow fields. The results of preliminary experiments conducted with this system indicate that the system is not only capable of measuring the mean velocity components, including reverse flow, it can also provide accurate estimation of turbulence components.
CitationSato, H. and Takagi, M., "Airflow Measurement Around Passenger Car Models Using a Two-Channel Laser Doppler Velocimeter," SAE Technical Paper 930297, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930297.
- Yamaguchi I. Nakatsuru K. Takagi M. Simpo Y. “The effect of a Moving Belt on Automotive Underbody Airflow in Model Wind Tunnel Tests,” JSAE Review 12 1991 3 24 28
- Buchhave P. Knutsen J. “Fiber-Optics Laser Anemometer Measurements,” Selected Papers from 1st Int. Symp. on Application of Laser-Doppler Anemometry to Fluid Mechanics 1982 323 334
- Durst F. Krebs H. “LDA-Optics Developments for Measurements in Internal Combustion Engines,” Proc. of 2nd Int. Symp. on Applications of Laser Anemometry to Fluid Mechanics 1984 6.5.1 6.5.5
- Nguyen Than T. Binh Le N. “A Fiber-Optic Laser-Doppler Anemometer,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 45 11 1984 1163 1165
- Maeda M. Hishida K, Ono M. “Development of Fibre LDA and Measurements of Turbulence in Boundary Layer on a Flat Plate,” Bulletin of JSME 28 240 1985 1050
- Sato H. Hishida K. Maeda M. “Development of Fibre LDA and Two-Component Velocity Measurements in Boundary Layer on an Inclined Heated Plate,” Fluid Control and Measurement 1985 Tokyo 2 1985 1065 1070
- Bopp S. Durst F. Muller R. “Small Laser-Doppler Anemometers Using Semiconductor Lasers and Avalanche Photodiodes,” Selected Papers from 4th Int. Symp. on Application of Laser-Doppler Anemometry to Fluid Mechanics 1988 315 337
- Kobayashi K. Sakakibara J. Hishida K. Maeda M. “Time-Series Measurements of Turbulent Flow Field Using Image Processing System,” Experimental and Numerical Flow Visualization 128 1991 155 162
- Kobayashi T. Saga T. Haeno T. Tsuda N. “Development of a Real-Time Velocity Measurement System for High Reynolds Fluid Flow Using a Digital Image Processing Technique,” Experimental and Numerical Flow Visualization 128 1991 9 14
- Buchheim R. Beeck M. A. Hentschel W. Piatek R. Schwabe D. Durst F. “Advanced Experimental Techniques and Their Application to Automotive Aerodynamics SAE Paper 870244 1987
- Cogotti A. Berneburg H. “Engine Compartment Airflow Investigations Using a Laser-Doppler-Velocimeter,” SAE Paper 910308 1991