This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive Seat Design Affecting Comfort and Safety
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive seating supports and protects its occupants. Potential improvement in occupant comfort and safety can be derived from seat design modifications. This paper examines a seat cushion design that offers more consistent support to an occupant in static and dynamic application. The occupant restraint system may be enhanced by incorporating the seat as an integral member of the restraint system.
|Technical Paper||Vehicular Padding and Head Injury|
|Technical Paper||The Effects of Anthropometry on Driver Position and Clearance Measures|
CitationPywell, J., "Automotive Seat Design Affecting Comfort and Safety," SAE Technical Paper 930108, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930108.
- Rouhana, Stephen W. Viano, David C. Jedrzecjzak, Edward A. McCleary, Joseph D. “Assessing Submarining and Abdominal Injury Risk in the Hybrid III Family of Dummies,” General Motors Research Laboratories Warren, Mi SAE 892440
- Horsch, John D. Hering, William E. “A Kinematic Analysis of Lap-Belt Submarining,” General Motors Research Laboratories Warren, Mi. GM Report BI-414 1988
- Adomeit, Deiter “Seat Design - A Significant Factor for Safety Belt Effectiveness Institute for Automotive Engineering Technical University Berlin, Germany SAE 791004
- Sharp, J.E. Stapp, J.P. “Automobile Seats and Their Role as an Adjunct to Restraint Systems,” New Mexico Research Institute SAE Congress Detroit, Mi. SAE 920129
- Dalmotas, D. Krzyzewski, J. “Restraint System Effectiveness as a Function of Seating Position,” Transport Canada SP-691 SAE 870489
- Jones, G. “Possible Future Trends Towards Increasing Occupant Protection in Frontal Impacts,” Austin Rover Group Ltd Kyoto, Japan SAE 826024
- Zuppichini, F. Haland, Y. “Effectiveness of Pretensioners on the Performance of Seat Belts,” 23rd FISITA Congress Torino, Italy SAE 905139
- Hector, B. Heiss, W. “Magnesium Die-Castings as Structural Members in the Integral Seat of the New Mercedes-Benz Roadster,” Advanced Body Development Mercedes Benz AG SAE Congress Detroit, Mi. SAE 900798
- Whitman, Eleri M. Griffin, Michael J. “Measuring Vibration on Soft Seats,” Human Factors Research Unit, Inst. of Sound and Vibration University of Southampton SAE 770253
- Varterasian, John H. “On Measuring Automobile Seat Ride Comfort,” General Motors Research Laboratories Warren, Mi. SAE 820309
- Baeder, Mark A. “Competitive Seat Suspension Evaluation,” General Motors Noise and Vibration Laboratory Milford, Mi. Internal GM Report March 21 1989
- Pywell, James F. “Future Cadillac Ride Characteristics - Driven by Target Market Expectations,” Cadillac Motor Division, GMC Internal GM Report March 31 1989
- Grandjean, Etienne “Sitting Posture of Car Drivers from the Point of View of Ergonomics,” In Human Factors in Transport Research Osborne D.J. Levis J.A. New York Academic Press 1980
- Swearingen, J.J. Wheelwright, C.D. Gardner, J.D. “An Analysis of Sitting Areas and Pressures of Man,” Civil Aero Medical Research Institute FAA Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 1962
- Clemente, Carmine D. Anatomy - A Regional Atlas of the Human Body Drew Charles R. Postgraduate School, UCLA Los Angeles, Ca. Urban and Schwarzenberg, Inc. Baltimore, Ma. 1981
- Glassford, Edmund J. “Physiological Variation in the Human Organism with Postural Change,” Fisher Body Division GMC 1971
- Hertzberg, H.T.E. “Human Buttocks in Sitting: Pressures, Patterns, and Palliatives,” Aerospace Medical Research Laboratories SAE 720005
- SAE Standard J826 1970 “Devices for Use in Defining and Measuring Motor Vehicle Seating Accommodation,” 1986 SAE Handbook Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa.