This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A CFD Study of a 4-Valved, Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The CFD code KIVA is used in conjunction with a one-dimensional wave action program to simulate exhaust blowdown, in a study of the scavenging and combustion at different loads and constant engine speed, in a single cylinder 4 valved 2-stroke engine configuration, using in-cylinder fuel injection. Two combustion chamber geometries -- a stepped head and a pentroof, were used in this study. The stepped head geometry has a combustion chamber recessed in the cylinder head, and contains the intake valves. The vertical intake port configuration provides a well developed reversed loop flow in the engine cylinder. The pentroof combustion chamber is similar to those used in current 4 stroke engines(1)*.
The computational study focuses on the effects of injector orientation, and the subsequent interaction between the fuel spray and ‘loop swirl’ of air in the engine cylinder, and on the resulting combustion characteristics and exhaust emissions. The effect of varying inlet and exhaust valve timing on the scavenging process and combustion have also been studied.
CitationDas, S. and Dent, J., "A CFD Study of a 4-Valved, Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 930070, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930070.
- Gruden D. Ritcher H. Torque Characteristics and Fuel Efficiency of Various Gasoline Engine Concepts I.Mech.E Intl. Conf. on Fuel Efficient Power Trains and Vehicles 22-28th Oct 1984 London
- Heywood J. B. Future Engine Technology: Lessons from The 80's for The 90's ASME Publications 13 New Technology in Large Bore Engines Chrisman B. 1990
- Hundleby G. E. Development of Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Engine -- The Flagship Concept SAE Paper 900802
- Plohberger D. Mikulic L. A. Landfahrer K. Development of a Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine SAE Paper 880170 1988
- Duret P. Ecomard A. Audinet M. A New Two-Stroke Engine with Compressor-Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications SAE Paper 880176 1988
- Scott. D. Yamaguchi, J. Pneumatic Fuel Injection Spurs Two-Stroke Revival Automotive Engineering 94 8 74 79 1986
- Amsden A. A. O'Rourke P.J. Butler T. D. KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-11560-MS 1989
- Amsden A. A. Ramshaw J. D. O'Rourke P. J. Dukowicz J. K. KIVA: A Computer Program for Two-and Three-Dimensional Fluid Flows with Chemical Reactions and Fuel Sprays Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-10245-MS Feb. 1985
- Amsden A. A. Butler T. D. O'Rourke P. J. Ramshaw J. D. KIVA: A Comprehensive Model for 2D and 3D Engine Simulations SAE Paper 850554 1985
- Naber J. D. Reitz R. D. Modelling Engine Spray/Wall Impingement SAE Paper 880107
- Donaldson, C. D. Snedecker, R. S. A Study of Free Jet and Impingement Mean Properties of Free and Impinging Jets, J. Fluid Mech. 45 1971 281 319
- Westbrook, C. K. Dryer, F. L. Simplified Reaction Mechanisms for the Oxidation of Hydrocarbon Fuels in flames Comb. Sci. & Tech. 1981 27 31 43
- Astarita, G. Mass Transfer with Chemical Reaction Elsevier Publishing Co. 1967
- Robinson, S. Blunsdon, C. A. Dent, J. C. Garner, C. P. CCD Camera -- Computer Analysis of Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine, and Some Comparisons with a CFD Model Paper Presented at the Intl. Conf. on Computers in Engine Technology 10-12 September 1991 Robinson College Cambridge
- Lavoie G. A. Correlations of Combustion Data for S.I. Engine Calculations - Laminar Flame Speed, Quench Distance and Global Reaction Rates SAE Paper 780229 1978
- The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines 1 Horlock J. H. Winterbone D. E. Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill 1988
- Ferguson C. R. Internal Combustion Engines -- Applied Thermosciences John Wiley & Sons 1986