This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Modifying of a Camshaft Profile to Decrease Acceleration and Jump of a Valve of a High Speed Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper it is described how to modify the profile of the camshaft to get less maximal acceleration and how to determine the jump of the follower of the valve.
A cam profile of a high speed internal combustion engine was taken for consideration and was modified using an enlargement function for the opening and closing sides.
This procedure allows to obtain smaller accelerations. The jump has been considered according to the modified cam profile.
Having done calculations of the jump, the diagrams of the beginning and the end of jumps have been prepared.
The results for the base and the modified cam have been compared.
|Technical Paper||Optimization of a Cam by a Genetic Algorithm|
|Technical Paper||Valve Train Dynamics-A Computer Study|
|Technical Paper||A Highly Efficient Simulation-Based Calibration Method Exemplified by the Charge Control|
CitationSendyka, B., "The Modifying of a Camshaft Profile to Decrease Acceleration and Jump of a Valve of a High Speed Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 930059, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930059.
- CHEN, F.Y Mechanics and Design of Cam Mechanisms Pergamon Press Inc. New York 1982
- CHEW, M. FREUDENSTEIN, F. LONGMAN, R.W. Application of the Optimal Control Theory to the Synthesis of High-Speed Cam-Follower Systems Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design September 1983 105
- JENSEN, P.W. Cam Design and Manufacture Marcel Dekker Inc. New York 1987
- JONHSON, R.C. Force Reduction by Motion Design in Spring-Loaded Cam Mechanisms Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design September 1984 106
- MAHARAJ, V.G. Analysis of Numerical Techniques of Cam Curves Specification and the Development of a Computer Program to Draw the Motion Curves of the Cam Durban 1991
- GAL-TZUR, Z. SHPITALANI, M. MALKIN S. Design and Manufacturing Analyses for Integrated CAD/CAM of Cams Trans. ASME, J.Eng. Ind. 111 307 314 1989
- GERALD, C.F. WHEATLEY, P.O. Applied Numerical Analysis Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Inc. USA 1989
- RAMBARAN, V. Mathematical Modelling of the Valve Train Mechanism of an Automobile Engine UDW, SA 1992
- PISANO, A.P. FREUDENSTEIN F. An Experimental and Analytical Investigation of the Dynamic Response of a High-Speed Cam Follower System Journal of Mechanics, Transmissions, and Automation in Design December 1983 105
- PISANO, A.P. Colomb Friction in High-Speed Cam Systems Journal of Mechanics, Transmissions, and Automation in Design December 1984 106
- PARANJPE, R.S. Dynamic Analysis of a Valve Spring With a Coulomb-Friction Damper Journal of Mechanical Design December 1990 112
- LIN, Y.Y. PISANO, A.P. Three Dimensional Dynamic Simulation of Helical Compression Springs Journal of Mechanical Design December 1990 112