The Modifying of a Camshaft Profile to Decrease Acceleration and Jump of a Valve of a High Speed Combustion Engine
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/930059
Published March 1, 1993 by SAE International in United States
In this paper it is described how to modify the profile of the camshaft to get less maximal acceleration and how to determine the jump of the follower of the valve.
A cam profile of a high speed internal combustion engine was taken for consideration and was modified using an enlargement function for the opening and closing sides.
This procedure allows to obtain smaller accelerations. The jump has been considered according to the modified cam profile.
Having done calculations of the jump, the diagrams of the beginning and the end of jumps have been prepared.
The results for the base and the modified cam have been compared.
CitationSendyka, B., "The Modifying of a Camshaft Profile to Decrease Acceleration and Jump of a Valve of a High Speed Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 930059, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930059.
- CHEN, F.Y: Mechanics and Design of Cam Mechanisms, Pergamon Press Inc., New York, 1982.
- CHEW, M., FREUDENSTEIN, F. and LONGMAN, R.W.: Application of the Optimal Control Theory to the Synthesis of High-Speed Cam-Follower Systems, Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, September 1983, vol 105.
- JENSEN, P.W.: Cam Design and Manufacture, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1987.
- JONHSON, R.C.: Force Reduction by Motion Design in Spring-Loaded Cam Mechanisms, Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, September 1984, vol 106.
- MAHARAJ, V.G.: Analysis of Numerical Techniques of Cam Curves Specification and the Development of a Computer Program to Draw the Motion Curves of the Cam, Durban, 1991.
- GAL-TZUR, Z., SHPITALANI, M. and MALKIN S.: Design and Manufacturing Analyses for Integrated CAD/CAM of Cams, Trans. ASME, J.Eng. Ind., Vol.111, 307-314, 1989.
- GERALD, C.F. and WHEATLEY, P.O.: Applied Numerical Analysis, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Inc., USA, 1989.
- RAMBARAN, V.: Mathematical Modelling of the Valve Train Mechanism of an Automobile Engine, UDW, SA, 1992.
- PISANO, A.P. and FREUDENSTEIN F.: An Experimental and Analytical Investigation of the Dynamic Response of a High-Speed Cam Follower System, Journal of Mechanics, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, December 1983, Vol 105.
- PISANO, A.P.: Colomb Friction in High-Speed Cam Systems, Journal of Mechanics, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, December 1984, Vol.106.
- PARANJPE, R.S.: Dynamic Analysis of a Valve Spring With a Coulomb-Friction Damper, Journal of Mechanical Design, December 1990, Vol.112.
- LIN, Y.Y. and PISANO, A.P.: Three Dimensional Dynamic Simulation of Helical Compression Springs, Journal of Mechanical Design, December 1990, Vol 112.