This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Model of In-Cylinder Heat Transfer with Inflow-Produced Turbulence
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Models have been developed and tested for in-cylinder heat transfer without inflow or outflow, but there is no experimentally verified model for in-cylinder heat transfer with inflow-produced turbulence. This model extends the work of Pfriem, in which the cylinder space is divided into a central turbulent region and a laminar wall layer. The laminar wall layer thickness is made a function of inflowing gas velocity, with the functional relationship based on a cylinder wake turbulent heat transfer correlation.
The model predicts larger heat transfer magnitude and smaller heat transfer phase shift than the non-turbulent model. It predicts smaller heat transfer magnitude and larger phase shift than another inflow-produced turbulence model.
For typical Stirling machine in-cylinder conditions, the model predicts Nusselt number magnitudes ranging roughly from 100 to 2000. It predicts heat transfer phase shifts ranging from near 0 to roughly 10 degrees.
CitationKornhauser, A., "A Model of In-Cylinder Heat Transfer with Inflow-Produced Turbulence," SAE Technical Paper 929467, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929467.
- Lee K.P. Smith, J.L. Jr. “Influence of Cyclic Wall-to Gas Heat Transfer in the Cylinder of the Valved Hot-Gas Engine,” Proc. 13th IECEC 1978 1798 1804
- Faulkner H.B. Smith, J.L. Jr. “Instantaneous Heat Transfer During Compression and Expansion in Reciprocating Gas Handling Equipment,” Proc. 18th IECEC 1983 724 730
- Faulkner H.B. Smith, J.L. Jr. “The T-S Diagram as an Indicator of Instantaneous Wall-to-Gas Heat Transfer Driven by a Quasi-Static Periodic Gas Pressure,” ASME Paper No 84-WA/HT-45 1984
- Lee K.P. “A Simplistic Model of Cyclic Heat Transfer Phenomena in Closed Spaces,” Proc 18th IECEC 1983 720 723
- Kornhauser A.A. Smith, J.L. Jr. “Application of a Complex Nusselt Number to Heat Transfer during Compression and Expansion,” On Flows in Internal Combustion Engines - IV ASME 1988 1 8
- Kornhauser A.A. “Gas-Wall Heat Transfer During Compression and Expansion,” MIT 1989
- Kornhauser A.A. “Dynamic Modeling of Gas Springs,” Proc. 26th IECEC 1991 5 176 179
- Kornhauser A.A. Smith, J.L. Jr. “The Effects of Heat Transfer on Gas Spring Performance,” Proc. 26th IECEC 1991 5 180 185
- Huang S.C. “HFAST Update,” 3rd Stirling Thermodynamic Loss Workshop Cleveland, Ohio Oct 16-17 1990
- Wang A.C. Smith, J.L. Jr. “The Importance of Anchoring Cylinder Wall Temperature in Stirling Cryocoolers,” Proc. 25th IECEC 1990 5 386 391
- Gedeon D. “A Cylinder Heat Transfer Model,” Memo to R. Tew NASA-Lewis 1989
- Pfriem H. “Periodic Heat Transfer at Small Pressure Fluctuations,” 1943
- Zukauskas A. “Heat Transfer from Tubes in Crossflow,” Adv. in Heat Trans. 8 1972 93 160
- Simon T.W. Seume J.R. A Survey of Oscillating Flow in Stirling Engine Heat Exchangers 1988