This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parameter Effects on Turbulent Swirling Flames in Combustors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computer code has been developed to simulate the turbulent combustion flowfield of an axisymmetric swirling flow in a typical combustor. Premixed fuel (methane) and air enter the combustor through the main primary inlet. Additionally, a top wall secondary annular inlet is permitted through which cooling dilution air flows. Once the geometric sizes of the domain and inlets are specified parameters of interest include the primary fuel-air ratio and aerodynamic specification of all the inflows. This includes the secondary to primary velocity ratio, primary swirl and contraction angles, and secondary swirl and upstream angles. Combustion flowfield predictions are given to illustrate the effects of these parameters on the flowfield (velocities, species concentrations, temperature and turbulence levels), and dramatic effects are illustrated via radial profiles and streamline patterns.
|Technical Paper||Developing a Fuel Stratification Concept on a Spark Ignition Engines|
|Technical Paper||Concept of Lean Combustion by Barrel-Stratification|
CitationDong, M. and Lilley, D., "Parameter Effects on Turbulent Swirling Flames in Combustors," SAE Technical Paper 929225, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929225.
- Gupta, A. K. Lilley, D. G. “Flowfield Modeling and Diagnostics.” Abacus Press Tunbridge Wells, England 1985
- Gupta, A. K. Lilley, D. G. Syred, N. “Swirl Flows.” Abacus Press Tunbridge Wells, England 1984
- Gosman, A. D. Pun, W. M. “Calculation of Recirculating Flows.” Dept. of Mech. Engng., Imperial College London, England 1974
- Lilley, D. G. “Primitive Pressure-Velocity Code for the Computation of Strongly Swirling Flows.” AIAA Journal 14 June 1976 749 756
- Novick, A. S. Miles, G. A. Lilley, D. G. “Numerical Simulation of Combustor Flow Fields” Journal of Energy 3 March-April 1979 95 105
- Novick, A. S. Miles, G. A. Lilley, D. G. “Modeling Parameter Influences in Gas Turbine Combustor Design.” Journal of Energy 3 Sept.-Oct. 1979 257 262
- Lilley, D. G. Rhode, D. L. “A Computer Code for Swirling Turbulent Axisymmetric Recirculating Flows in Practical Isothermal Combustor Geometries.” Feb. 1982
- Samples, J. W. Lilley, D. G. “Numerical Simulation of Reacting Combustor Flowfields.” Proc. ASME Comp. in Engng. Conf. Chicago, IL July 20-24 1986
- Dong, M. Lilley, D. G. “A PC-Based Computer Code for Axisymmetric Turbulent Swirling Reacting Flows.” Int. Joint Power Generation Conf. Atlanta, GA Oct. 18-22 1992